Importing 1Pwd7 data

Options

OK, when I exported from 1Pwd7 on my iMac, I got a FOLDER labeled XXX.1pif. Inside it are 2 more folders (Attachments & Previews) and a data.1pif file. When I go to IMPORT into 1Pwd7 on my MacBook Pro, do I just import just the data file or the entire XXX.1pif folder?

1Password Version: 7.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• eli.s_1P
    Options

Hello Romad,

I'd be happy to help answer your question about importing your data, as I know how frustrating it can be to not have access to your items saved inside 1Password.

When it comes to importing a 1PIF file using 1Password 7, you would just need to import the file itself with the steps below:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose File > Import > Other > Import a 1PIF File.
    3. Choose a vault to import into and select the 1PIF file from your file browser.

You can also see these steps outlined in our guide on how to import your data to 1Password.

Would you be willing to elaborate on why you exported a 1PIF from 1Password 7 only to reimport it again on another device? While you can move data this way, it’s not the best way to migrate your data between devices.

I would also like to take this time to mention that with the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported. 1Password 8 is the current version of the desktop app and I encourage you to update so that you can take advantage of the latest updates and features. I notice that you’re running 10.13.6, since 1Password 8 requires at least macOS 10.15 and macOS 10.13.6 hasn’t been updated since 2018, I would suggest that you update macOS as well if possible: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

I look forward to hearing from you!

-Eli

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited March 18
    Options

Well perhaps you did NOT understand my question so I will try to reword it for you.

1. I exported my data from 1PWD on my Mid-2011 iMac by using 1Pwd>File>Export>All items
    2. This created a FOLDER.1pif
    3. Inside this folder are 2 folders named "attachments" and "previews" and a FILE named "data.1pif"

My question is: do I import the FILE data.1pif first and then the attachments & previews folders or can I import the entire FOLDER.1PIF directly? I have always just imported FILES with the .1pif extension never a FOLDER with the extension.

As for 1PWD 8, you made it IMPOSSIBLE for my use. The elimination of both local sync via WiFi and sole storage of my 1PWD data on my local drives make it DOA for my use. Besides that, if you can tell me how to install MacOS 10.15 on my Mid-2011 iMac, it would be interesting as APPLE itself says it can't be done.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@romad

Thanks for the reply. When using the steps that my colleague shared, you should select the entire 1PIF folder and then click Open to have 1Password import everything in the 1PIF file.

I know that we've discussed why you're choosing not to upgrade to 1Password 8 in other threads so I won't repeat that conversation here. Do let me know if you run into issues with the import. 🙂

-Dave