MRC_converter problem [Solved]

Options
bbuckley
bbuckley
Community Member
edited March 19 in Lounge

Hi,
I am a new user on the 14 day trial but planning to continue with the Family subscription. I am trying to import from mSecure6 and I have followed the converter suite instructions completely. I always get to a point where it says

And there is no MCS_converted file anywhere. Additionally, when I open the Windows desktop 1Password 8 app both the Import and Export functions are greyed out.
Where have I gone wrong?
Thanks!
Bruce

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bbuckley,

I'll take at look at this shortly. Back soon...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bbuckley

Ok, I've made a change that may be sufficient. At the location where you downloaded the converter suite, there is a folder named Custom. Inside is a file Msecure6.pm. Download and replace the one inside the suite's Converters folder. Then retry the conversion.

The issue was occurring likely because you have a custom field named "Password" in your Login records, and that is also a stock mSecure6 Login field label. Since 1Password really can't use multiple passwords within a Login record, any custom labels with the same name as a stock field are now being placed into the Notes area in the form of "Label: Value".

I notice you are running your shell as an Administrator. There's both no need to do this for the converter, and generally poses a security risk when running scripts from random third parties. I'd like to think I'm a good guy, but a bad guy would also say he was a good guy. Better safe than sorry. :-)

Let me know how this works out for you.

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much. I tried quickly this morning before an appointment but got same result. Likely operator error. I wasn’t sure I got the right Custom folder. I’ll try again fresh this afternoon after another appointment and let you know. Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 15
    Options

@bbuckley

Here's the direct link to the location where I post quick fixes / custom converters:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hx75rmdii5h1gun/AAB9ArB7wG8FwHvzwJLH3Lrja?dl=0

I don't normally post it, since it is subject to change.

Please note that I have not created yet another mSecure trial account to test, nor know exactly how your data is triggering the issue. I'm assuming it must be due to your customizing the Login template, by changing one of the extra fields supported by mSecure6, and changing the label to Password. I replicated the CSV export simply by copying a previous export, and adding the custom field data to the end of a Login record. This may not be a valid assumption, whereby I'd need your help in understanding the cause.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bbuckley

This comment is to ensure you got the notification of my post above. I'd forgotten to @ include your name.

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC im sure you’re right. I made a Password and Username field in some records that didn’t have them. For example my American Airlines Freq Flyer record isn’t categorized as a Login it’s a card or something like that so I inserted a password & username field for my info. It might be easiest for me to go clean those up in mSecure6 first. I don’t think it’s a lot of records. BTW thanks for the education on the admin running of cod line.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bbuckley

The converter can be quickly customized to accommodate your records where you added username / password, allowing splitting of the mSecure record into the appropriate 1Password categories (e.g. Frequent Flyer -> 1Password's Rewards plus a Login). This allows 1Password to work as designed.

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC I redownloaded the Msecure6.pm file and ran the converter. Results above.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bbuckley

Can you tell me the field ID value for the second "Username" field in the CSV? It will be a pipe-separated tuple towards the end of the entry in the CSV (after the Notes column). It should be in the form:

field name|field ID|value

The field name and field ID are of interest.

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    The second username field is:
    Username|7|my_email_address

This is what is in the record for the American Advantage.

The first Username is:
    Username|7|my_freqflyer#

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Ok, I see that my method of using the ID value won't work. I'm presuming this is because you set the type to Username (or Password, etc.), changing it from the custom text ID of 0.

I'll see if I can correct it now...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bbuckley

I've updated the Custom version of the converter. Can you try it?

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Wow! Thanks. Now my issue is my desktop 1Password8 has both Import and Export greyed out. Is that because I'm on the trial?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bbuckley

Great!

The trial is full-featured.

I've seen several posts about greyed out Import / Export, but never payed attention to the reason.

I searched google with the terms:

1password windows Import and Export greyed out

Please see if this post helps:

https://1password.community/discussion/138884/in-my-1password-windows-app-the-import-option-is-disabled

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Will do! You've been awesome in helping get this far. I'm sure I can slay the import /export function. Thanks again.

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

I am on the trial for a Family plan. I am the Organizer and currently the only member.
    On the initial install I was able to export my Edge PWs (I am currently using Chrome) and successfully import them. At that time 1Password was only installed on one PC. Since then I have installed the desktop windows app on my laptop and the iOS apps on my iPhone and iPad. I am signed into my account on all devices and everything seems to sync and be fine.
    Now I am trying to import a csv from msecure6 and was successful in creating the .1pux file (with a LOT of help from @MrC).
    My issue is the import AND export functions are greyed out in both Windows PCs desktop apps. I signed out and back in and no change.
    I've searched here and Reddit and followed the threads but luck yet.
    Any help appreciated.

1Password Version: 1Password 8.10.27
    Extension Version: 2.21.0
    OS Version: Windows11
    Browser: Chrome

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I fixed it. For others that may encounter this issue: I uninstalled 1Password 8 desktop app on my PC then re-downloaded it and re-installed. After signing in, the Import function worked fine. Go figure...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 16
    Options

@bbuckley

I see in another thread you got your import completed. Hopefully all is good now!

• bbuckley
    bbuckley
    Community Member
    Options

Sure is. Your converter suite is amazing. So now I’m spending a lot of time learning 1Password and cleaning up all my old duplicate and obsolete entries. So far I love it. Thanks for your help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bbuckley

Ok, great to hear. Thanks for the nice words, and it was a pleasure to work with you.

This is the right time to review for any major change requirements. But it sounds like you are well on your way.

Enjoy 1Password!

• eli.s_1P
    Options

Thank you for the continued assistance MrC!

@bbuckley I'd like to welcome you to the 1Password family! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your items imported, and if you have any questions about 1Password just let me know! I'm here to help 😄