Am I doing it wrong? Such a nuisance - identities & autofill non password forms

Options
notmax
notmax
Community Member
edited January 26 in 1Password in the Browser

Many times 1password offers to fill in an identity and obscures the auto search functionality of that website. Try looking up your address on any Google addresses powered form, or even a cable TV provider like https://ziply.com As you type, the site provides a drop down with matching addresses so you can select one. 1password obscures that and you have to click the 1password icon to make it go away.

No problem I thought, I don't use identities anyway, so I deleted all three of mine (one per account). Oh lord! It still shows up, with NOTHING to select from. Why is this the default behavior? How can I turn it off? It's super frustrating, am I missing an obvious setting, other than "never suggest autofill" which is the other end of useless.

1Password Version: 8.10.23
Extension Version: 2.18.2
OS Version: macOS 14.2.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• @notmax

Please update 1Password in the browser when you have a chance. Also, the 1Password application as well as macOS. No rush, mind you. Just letting you know they are available.

You might want to disable the following.

1. Right-click 1Password in the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select Autofill
    4. Turn off Show autofill suggestions when a form field is in focus.
  • notmax
    notmax
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update nudge.

Turn off show autofill now means I've got to press a button each time I login, which is worse than pressing a button each time I'm filling in a non-login field. It would be very helpful to either be able to disable non-password logins (I bet that's unlikely) or not show the drop down if there's nothing to show. I don't know why "No items to show." is even necessary.

• Hello @notmax, thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry for the trouble, it appears that the 1Password extension is suggesting items in an unwanted field. I'm not able to access the page, I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can help you.

With your email please include:

1. Navigate to the page exhibiting the behaviour.
    2. Right-click the problematic field and select 1Password > Help > Collect Page Structure.
    3. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    4. Attach the file to your reply.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

We look forward to assisting you further.

-Evon

• notmax
    notmax
    Community Member
    Options

It's an address field, which is why it's suggesting identities. It's obscuring the address as I type. I just want to be able to not see the "no suggestions" dialog if there are no suggestions. I don't understand what it gives a user.

• Thank you for your reply, @notmax. I apologize for any interruption in your workflow caused by this.

I completely understand, as I've ran into other websites with the same situation. Personally, I've been able to press the ESC key on my keyboard to quickly dismiss the Inline menu (suggestions menu).

That being said, I hear your feedback and have shared your request to add an option to avoid showing suggestions for forms if you don’t have any Identity items in your vault with our product team.

Thank you again for helping us make 1Password better. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

-Evon

ref:38043078

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member
    Options

@EvonG1P, I want to echo @notmax's request: suggestions from identities can be an obnoxious intrusion. Please let us turn them off, if you can't suppress them on login pages.

I use many different emails to sign into different websites, and they NEVER match the ones that popup, unwantedly, for many two-page logins that request an email address. (E.g. for newyorker.com, although not for nytimes.com, happily enough.)

Address autofill was always helpful, but a couple years ago, for some reason, you insisted on unilaterally "making the identity suggestion more prominent". I've begged you before: please give us an OPTION that preserves the expected experience, whenever you remove a feature (e.g. when you replace login suggestions with identity suggestion for some sites).

(Another bug: we NEVER need to know that there are "no items to show"! Why bother to tell us?)

Yes, I can clear the annoying pop-up with ESC. But I'm still faced with the bug that 1Password no longer suggests a LOGIN on that page.

BTW, @ag_tommy's suggestion doesn't help at all. It does prevent the unwanted email addresses from popping up immediately, but when I click the 1Pwd icon in the field for my username (aka email) I get the same pointless pop-up. So, either way, I must click the browser toolbar icon to get the missing login suggestions.

Note also that this bug was reported at least 2-1/2 years ago! (https://1password.community/discussion/125989/1password-suggesting-email-addresses-instead-of-login)

Finally, beware that you'd probably have more complaints if more users were aware that this annoying popup is 1Password's fault. I found several complaints about this pop-up that are misattributed to the browser before I grasped that it's a 1Pwd misfeature.

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @Netpog, thank you for writing in. I apologize for any inconvenience this has on your workflow. I've shared your feedback with our product team for further review.

As for the websites mentioned, I've tested things on the New Yorker website and can confirm that I'm experiencing the same behaviour. The sign-in page appears to be for both signing in and creating an account, and it's offering an email from an Identity item, rather than a New Yorker Login item. I've filed a report for our development team for further investigation to see if we can improve 1Password for this specific page.

In the meantime, I was able to use the 1Password extension pop-over to Autofill instead. Here's how:

1. Navigate to newyorker.com and click "Sign In".
    2. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and click "Autofill" on your Login item.

If you've encountered any other websites with similar behaviour, please let me know, and I can pass the information along to our development team.

I hope that helps.

-Evon

ref: PB-38958601
    ref: PB-38958681
    ref: dev/core/core#23284