Issues with Quick Access when using Brave in full screen mode

Options
System
edited March 25 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Quick Access with Fullscreen Apps.

Comments

• axqd
    axqd
    Community Member
    edited March 24
    Options

Same here with Brave browser in full screen mode in a single desktop. So annoying...

I don't use 1password browser extension (because it's the only right thing to do for any password manager). So the hot key to quick access is the only way to trigger 1password for me.

1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028034)
    Mac OS 14.4 (23E214)
    Apple M1 Max

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @axqd! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into issues when using 1Password's Quick Access feature. Just to confirm: are you running into an issue where, if Brave is open in full screen on your Mac, Quick Access will open on the wrong macOS Space? Let me know if I misunderstood.

If I understood correctly then can you tell me the following:

1. When Quick Access opens on another macOS Space, are you running any other apps in full screen? Such as Safari? Or is only Brave in full screen?
    2. If you right-click on the 1Password app's icon in your dock and click Options, do you see the app assigned to any particular desktop?
    3. Does the issue happen randomly or can you reproduce it consistently at will?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• axqd
    axqd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your reply.

1. Yes, I ran many apps in full screen. Usually they are brave browser, slack, IntelliJ etc.
    2. No, as mentioned, there is only one desktop, hence no such option to assign the app.
    3. It happens from time to time. I don't have 100% reproduce steps

And also, I changed the hot key to Ctrl+\ for Quick Access. It should not be a hotkey conflict, because it usually works in brave browser. And the Quick Access actually showed up in the very first space (I mean, if I keep swiping left, I can see it there on the screen)

• Dave_1P
    edited March 26
    Options

@axqd

Thanks for the reply. You mentioned that there is only one desktop, can you clarify where Quick Access is opening if that's the case? My understanding is that the terms "desktop" and space" to refer to the same thing: Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Can you also tell me if you have any external displays attached to your Mac?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#10728

• axqd
    axqd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

This issue happens from time to time with or without external displays (I always close lid when I use external display).

I am not sure how to describe these terms properly.
    Basically I believe I have only one desktop because:
    1. I don't see Assign to in Options.
    2. After I swiped up, clicked the plus button on the top right corner and added a new full screen this way (the default name of which would be Desktop 2, I can see the Assign to in Options.

For my case, I am talking about multiple fullscreen apps here (Brave, Slack, IntelliJ, etc.)

This happened just now again.
    And I think there is a chance I am actually describing multiple cases here:

Case 1. If password is required, the QuickAccess would hide in the very first screen (the left most screen showing my desktop) waiting for password from time to time. This still happens even after I enabled Keep 1Password in the menu bar

Case 2. If password is not required, the QuickAccess can also hide in the very first screen from time to time after hitting the hot key (This issue seems to be fixed after I enabled Keep 1Password in the menu bar. Not 100% sure. I just don't see this anymore.)

Case 3. If password is not required, the QuickAccess does not show up at all with either hot key nor clicking the icon in the tray (which was set to bring up QuickAccess). I have to open the main 1Password window to make QuickAccess work again.

This is my laptop from my company, hence I cannot just send a debug zip to you.
    But I am a programmer, hence if there are any steps to provide more debug info, I can do that when it happens again.

Thanks in advance.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@axqd

Thank you for the detailed explanation! I can confirm that our development team has an open issue to to investigate Quick Access opening on the wrong macOS Space and I've added your report and comments to that issue.

Case 3. If password is not required, the QuickAccess does not show up at all with either hot key nor clicking the icon in the tray (which was set to bring up QuickAccess). I have to open the main 1Password window to make QuickAccess work again.

This seems like a different issue. The next time that Quick Access fails to open from the menu bar (not just from the shortcut), are you able to right-click on the menu bar icon and open the main window from the icon? Or do you have to open the main window from a different location like the /Applications folder?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave