Options
danco
danco
Volunteer Moderator
edited March 29 in iOS

About half an hour ago I got an email saying

"New sign-in

Hi Daniel,

Your 1Password account was just used to sign in from 1Password for Safari extension.

Safari extension

England, United Kingdom (2a01:4b00:896d:1d00:19b5:45b0:fe5d:6ca0)
Tuesday, March 26, 2024 at 8:16pm GMT"

My computer was running but I was NOT at it. I was at my iPhone but not doing anything internet related.

I have never seen such a message before.

The first four octets of the address (maybe more) do correspond to octets for sign ins that I know I made, such as one about fifteen minutes after I got this message.

Do I have any need to worry? As I mentioned, I didn't get such a message for logins that I know are genuine.

Comments

• JonM1PW
    edited March 27
    Options

Hey @danco,

Great question! As you may already be aware, the email you received is an automated email that is sent out whenever a user signs in to their account on a new device or browser. In most cases, this email is expected and is no cause for worry.

With that said, you mentioned that you weren't taking any actions when you received the email. Do you see any unidentified devices listed on your profile (in the top right corner) when logging into and accessing 1Password on the web. The team is tracking an issue where 1Password for Safari can trigger unexpected sign-in notification emails and your answers will help me determine whether you're affected by this known issue or if we need to investigate your specific situation further.

I'd also like to ask a couple of questions to get a clearer idea of your current situation:

• How many sign-in alert emails have you received?
    • Did you recently clear the cache/history in Safari?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing back from you.

-Jon

ref: dev/core/core#10342

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Thank you. I'm reassured, as this seems to have been the issue.

This is the only time I have received an alert email. I had not recently cleared the cache.

• ag_tommy
    Options

On behalf of Jon, you're welcome.

• bencebon
    bencebon
    Community Member
    edited March 29
    Options

I'm a MSP, and I have quite a lot of my clients on 1Password on Mac, as well as myself.
    I received the same sign-in alert yesterday, as did quite a few of my clients.
    Something has obviously happened system-wide, either in Safari or in 1Password, that has triggered this alert.
    I think the 1Password team should probably look into it, as if these things happen too frequently, people will just start ignoring alerts altogether.

Edit: it looks like the Safari extension had an update yesterday, which would coincide with the alert.
    My clients get forced updates through Addigy, so this update might be the reason they all got the same alert at around the same time.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@bencebon

Updates may have indeed caused this behavior.