Add ARM version to default distributions (Asahi Linux)

Options
jonkoops
jonkoops
Community Member
edited December 2023 in Linux

Asahi Linux (the de-facto Linux distribution for Apple silicon Macs) has become stable, and Linux on ARM in general is increasing in popularity. However, installing 1Password on ARM-based Linux machines is still unnecessarily complicated compared to it's x86 counterpart.

This is a request to add support for the ARM architecture directly to the various supported distributions, and especially Fedora (considering it's official status through Asahi Linux), rather than offering it as a separate distribution with an inferior user experience. Other vendors such as Microsoft are already shipping Electron-based apps (e.g. Visual Studio Code) with ARM bundled binaries.

I've been a loyal customer and evangelist of 1Passport due to it's forward thinking approach in features, especially with great features that enhance the developer experience. And I am hoping that this remains true here.

For more information, see this historical discussion on the forum.

1Password Version: 8.10
OS Version: Fedora Asahi Remix

Comments

• jonkoops
    jonkoops
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P @Savanni @Blake looping you into this you were part of the discussion in the previous thread.

• PeterG_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi @jonkoops, thank you for this request! I really appreciate your championing of our approach at 1Password, and we want to do everything we can to make the developer experience an excellent one.

While I don't have any news to share regarding ARM support / packaging at the moment, I'll make sure that your request makes it to our Product team, as well as the link to the older discussion.

Again, thanks for your feedback here, as well as the context about why this is top-of-mind for you. I'm happy to pass it on!

ref: PB-36151213

• jonkoops
    jonkoops
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated!

• @jonkoops On Peter's behalf, you're most welcome! 🙂

If you have any further questions or concerns, let us know!

Franky

• inffy
    inffy
    Community Member
    Options

It would also be nice to have the Flatpak version be available for aarch64