1Password 8 doesn't sync lock status with desktop app reliably

Options
r3r344r4
r3r344r4
Community Member

Since I'm not able to reply to https://1password.community/discussion/145062/1password-8-doesnt-seem-to-sync-lock-status-between-desktop-browser#latest, creating a new post.

I found a reproduction route for the unreliability in unlocking the browser extension:
1. Create two safari profiles and install the safari extension for 1password in both
2. integrate both extensions with the desktop
3. lock computer to ensure all extensions and desktop app are locked
4. when you unlock computer, use quick access shortcut to open desktop app search
5. Touch ID to unlock quick access
6. Browser does not unlock as well. Even clicking the browser extension icon produces a spinning UI

Only resolution is to go to the extension settings and toggle the "integrate with desktop" switch.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028034)
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: macOS 13.6.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @r3r344r4! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into an issue with 1Password and Safari profiles, thank you for the detailed reproduction steps. Our developers are investigating a few different issues with Safari profiles and I'd like to know a little more so that I can determine whether you're affected by one of these known issue:

1. When you unlock Quick Access and then wait about 60 seconds while keeping your Mac awake and not clicking on 1Password in Safari, does the browser extension eventually unlock?
    2. When you click on the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar, does the spinning icon just continue to spin or do you eventually see an error message?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24437

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    Options

Sure
    1) Sometimes waiting for 60 seconds works for the first profile (not reliably). Then, when I switch to the second profile, it won't unlock (almost as though the first profile has "claimed" the connection and so the other profile can't use it).
    2) I don't always see the spinning icon. Sometimes it's stuck on "Open 1Password" (see screenshot) and nothing happens when I click the blue button. Other times when the spinner shows up, after some time the dialog dismisses, no error is shown.

• SamerY1P
    edited April 2
    Options

Hi @r3r344r4,

Thank you for answering those questions. It sounds like you’re running into one of the known issues that my colleague Dave mentioned earlier. To confirm the specific issue, and to dig deeper, I’d like to ask you to send in a console log while reproducing the issue:

Attach the file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Samer

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Samer - I use 1Password at work, and their policy does not permit me to send console logs externally so unfortunately I won't be able to do that. Happy to help test a fix in beta when it comes up. Good to know that this issue is known to the devs.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@r3r344r4

Thank you for reply. Without a console log I can't 100% confirm that you're running into the known issue that I'm thinking of but your symptoms are a perfect match so I'm almost completely certain.

If you turn off app integration inside of the browser extension's settings page then you'll be able to avoid the issue but you'll lose the ability to unlock 1Password for Safari using biometrics and you'll need to unlock the desktop app, and 1Password in different profiles, separately:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Turn off "Integration this extension with the 1Password desktop app."
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 in all Safari profiles.

I know that this isn't a convenient workaround but I'm mentioning it in case it helps until a permanent fix is released.

-Dave