Dropbox sync seems to be stomping my data

Options

Hello,

First: Love this app. Thanks!

I have v3.8.2 Mac, v1.0.9.327 Win, and v4.1.2 iOS (2 devices). All are syncing via Dropbox.

Every few days, I notice that all my software license data is gone. (Other data might be missing, but I haven't done a thorough inspection.) I'm able to get everything back by restoring from a backup data file, but this loses anything new I've saved since the last backup.

Although I can't be sure, I believe this started after I installed v4 on my iOS devices.

Most interesting is that none of the devices are missing any data before this happens. It doesn't appear that one data set is incomplete and then gets synced as "the latest."

Is there some kind of sync logging or other helpful information that I can gather to determine why this is happening? Should I blow away the data on all but one device and re-sync from scratch?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

First: Love this app. Thanks!

…and with such kind words. :)

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. Let's get to the bottom of it.

Is there any chance that you have more than one data file anywhere in your Dropbox account (within any subfolder at all)?

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from 1Password on your Mac?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Kevin R
    Kevin R
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the delay. I've sent the diagnostics report.

I recently (after this started happening) moved by backup data files location to DropBox, but I don't have other 1Password data files in my Dropbox that I can find.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013
    Options

I'm looking at your Diagnostics Report, and it does show that your backups are located in your Dropbox folder (which we don't actually recommend). Your data file is located there too, though. Your report indicates that the data file is located in the root of your Dropbox folder:

/Volumes/Storage/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain

Do you see any other instances of 1Password.agilekeychain in your Dropbox folder? Even in a subfolder?

I'm wondering if somehow the 1Password.backup folder is causing any trouble. Could you please move your backups back to the default location?

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

I don't think it should be causing any trouble, but I'd love to rule it out for the purpose of troubleshooting.

WKG-59344-279

• Kevin R
    Kevin R
    Community Member
    edited April 2013
    Options

No other 1Password files to speak of in the Dropbox.

[/Volumes/Storage/Dropbox/]$ find . -name 1Password*
    ./1Password.agilekeychain

Note that I didn't start putting the backups on Dropbox until I encountered this stomping problem and needed my backups on other machines. However, I've reverted the backups location to default and removed the zip files from Dropbox.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think your suggestion above to sync from scratch may be a good place to start. Create a backup of your data and then try starting fresh by resetting the data in 1Password on your iOS devices (Settings > Advanced > Erase Data).

• Kevin R
    Kevin R
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot and let you know if/when this happens again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Please do keep me posted. We can dig deeper if you are still having trouble after that. Presuming you have a "master copy" of your data in 1Password for Mac, simply resyncing it to your devices should be pretty simple and will give us a baseline.

• Kootenay Redneck
    Kootenay Redneck
    Community Member
    Options

Had a problem recently that Dropbox receiving my stuff from 1Password. We trouble shot it up until Agilebits decided to ask Dropbox for help but before this I unistalled Dropbox from my system and reinstalled and it cured the problem. Must have been something corrupt with the Dropbox app.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that bit of information, KR. :)

How are things going, Kevin?

• Kevin R
    Kevin R
    Community Member
    Options

So far so good. No spontaneous disappearances yet.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! Please do let me know if you have any more trouble at all.

This discussion has been closed.