Broken desktop app <> browser extension interaction makes Chromium browsers hang on Win11

Options
vasus
vasus
Community Member

Whenever I install the 1Password browser extension on Edge or Vivaldi browsers, they:
1. Always fail to connect to the desktop 1Password app with the message 'Status: Problems connecting. Make sure the 1Password app is unlocked' despite the app already being unlocked.
2. About 10 minutes after starting the browser with the extension enabled, the browser hangs unable to open any new tabs or navigate to settings. At this point the only way to unhang the browser is to kill all of its processes and start anew.

Deleting either the extension or the desktop app allows their counterparts to work correctly. I noticed the same behavior with two Chromium-based browsers (Edge and Vivaldi) on Windows 11. I don't experience this issue on my Linux machine. I am sure that the 1Password extension is causing the browsers to hang because the issue disappears as soon as I remove it.

I've been struggling with this problem for over a year, and it drives me nuts. No standard solutions of stopping and restarting both the app and extension ever worked for me, neither did updating them or switching to the beta/nightly channels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.30 (81030020)
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: Windows 11 23H2 (OS build 22631.3374)
Browser: Vivaldi & Edge

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello! 👋

I'm closing this thread as a duplicate of the other thread that you opened. Let's continue the conversation in the other thread. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.