Opening Safari causes email every time: "New 1Password sign-in from Safari extension"

Options
2»

Comments

• ThisIsJustAUsername
    ThisIsJustAUsername
    Community Member
    edited April 9
    Options

Just an update that this issue is still persisting in April 2024 and I even got a notification just logging into here, showing how annoying it is. I don’t want to disable the extension as I pay for a service and want to be able to enjoy the features that it comes with. Interestingly it is not every time I open Safari but still multiple times a day. Many of us browse privately or use VPNs and is why you should provide options if this will keep triggering this alert.

iOS 17.4 (21E5184k) BETA
    1Password App Version: 8.10.28

I appreciate the security cringe that it brings, but you should allow a user to opt out of such notifications should they wish. Many services provide an ‘Account Activity’ notification option. The onus is on the user and should be on by default with the option to disable it, or let us add exceptions to certain device address identifiers, like the ones included in these notification emails. If something happens to a users account who had notifications on and complains they weren’t notified, that is on them for disabling it. I would happily leave it on if it’s an option if you allowed me to add ‘trusted devices’ via device/router identifiers assigned to each device. It’s not perfect but it’s better than what exists now.

[Screenshot removed due to profanity, please remember that this is a family-friendly community. -Moderator]

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

@ThisIsJustAUsername This has been solved for me since early February, with iOS 17.4 Beta 2 and whatever the 1Password app beta version that was released around that time. You are running current versions so I would guess this is a different problem that is causing your extra notifications.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ThisIsJustAUsername

I'm sorry that you're seeing unwanted sign-in notifications. To clarify: this thread discusses an issue where users might see sign-in notification emails just when using 1Password for Safari in the same browser session. If you're seeing sign-in notification emails when using 1Password in a new private browser window (or after clearing the history/cache in Safari) then this is expected behaviour and not related to the issue being discussed in this thread.

I'm happy to forward your feedback to the team but first I want to determine whether you're seeing the same issue that other folks here are seeing or if you'd just like to submit a feature request to turn off sign-in notification emails in general.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#10342

• Dave_1P
    Options

@mirv

Thanks for the post. iOS 17.4 beta 2 contains a fix that helps a significant number of users who were encountering this issue but it doesn't resolve the issue for everyone and our developers continue to investigate those cases.

I'm happy to hear that you're no longer seeing the issue on your own devices. 🙂

-Dave