Cannot copy from Win11 and paste into virtualbox

Options
crispytk
crispytk
Community Member

Hi,
I've experienced this problem a few years ago but gave up on looking for a resolution. But now I decided to give it a try and see how long it will take to find a definite solution.

So community,
Let me ask if there's someone else who's experiencing the same.
I'm on a Win11 host and working on a VBox-Kali.
The task is simple: I need to copy a user/password from Win11 and paste it on VBox.

What I did so far:

• VBox Guest installed;
  • Tested OK copying + pasting random pieces of texts back and forth.
  • Deselected config setting for "remove info after 90 sec" option.

Problem:

• Sometimes, and at random, it will succeed copying from win11 and pasting into Vbox.
  • The same random key/pwd that succeeded once, doesn't next time.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win11
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @crispytk, thanks for reaching out to us. This is an issue that I've been able to reproduce and raised internally for further investigation.

In the meantime, when the issue reoccurs, could you let me know if the following workaround allows you to paste successfully:

1. Copy any random character or string from your local device.
    2. Copy a password from 1Password
    3. Paste to the VM.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ali

ref: dev/core/core#10982

• Azareus
    Azareus
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello,
    I'm joining in here because I'm experiencing the same problem with my team using Windows 11, 1Password for Windows 8.10.18 and VirtualBox version 7.0.6 r155176 and I'm very frustrated.

In the vast majority of cases, copying and pasting a password from 1Password into a (Linux) guest machine of VirtualBox does not work. At the beginning I thought that the passwords were not saved correctly, which could not be the case as they were created with 1Password. It seems as if the shared clipboard is not updated. However, the password is stored correctly in the clipboard on the host and can be pasted into Wordpad, for example. If I then copy this password from Wordpad, I can paste it on the guest machine.

The suggested work around does not work for me. Under these circumstances, I cannot use 1Password productively. I was very surprised that this problem has been known for a long time, but there is still no solution in sight.

I would be very happy if this problem could be solved

• AliH1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hey @Azareus, I'm sorry to hear you're also encountering this issue and that the workaround doesn't work for you.

I understand you frustration and I've added your case to the internal tracker and shared your comment with the team.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Ali

• CologneGuy
    CologneGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue with 1Password for Windows 8.10.24 (81024044). If I copy the passphrase into the text editor of host Windows and copy them from the editor into clipboard, the passphrase will be copied into the VM. 1PW is the only software I have figured out having this issue. It not only applies for passphrases but also for login usier names and all other items. It seems that 1PW blocks to copy/paste via clipboard into a VM.

• Hello @CologneGuy - We appreciate you letting know you've been experiencing this issue as well. While we have no news to share at this time, I've added these details to the internal issue we're tracking for the development team.

Thanks and have a great day!

• Azareus
    Azareus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d,
    more than 2 months have passed since my last comment. I must add that the problem is not permanent. It occurs on some days, but on other days it works again and I can copy the passwords directly from 1Password and paste them into the VM. Since I realised this, I can currently live with it. But I still have to be careful when updating passwords, for example.

• Hello again @Azareus,

Thanks for your reply and update. I've included this additional feedback for the teams review.

Have a nice weekend!

• rbohlmann
    rbohlmann
    Community Member
    Options

I experience the same issue as well. I am using Windows 10 Enterprise (Version 22H2) as host with 1Password installed. On the VirtualBox side I am pasting into Windows 11. Same symptoms as the others that "most" of the time it does not work. I have to paste into another app, like notepad, then copy it from there to be able to paste over to the guest VM.

Please help.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@rbohlmann

I'm sorry that you're also running into the same issue, I've passed your report along to the team internally.

-Dave