Change the Default Autofill Behavior

Options
aronduby
aronduby
Community Member

Almost all of our passwords (part of a business account with ~12 people) need to use the "Only fill on this exact domain" autofill option, so it would be nice if that could be set as the default.

1Password Version: 8.10.3
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: Win 11
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:default autofill

ยซ1

Comments

• Hello @aronduby,

Thanks for your feedback! Given the account type and your specific use case, I can see where being able change the default option where a login is suggested and filled to Only fill on this exact domain would be helpful. I can't make any promises, but I've filed an Insight with the Product team.

Let us know if you have any other suggestions!

ref: 31840757

• agee
    agee
    Community Member
    Options

+1

Some sort of setting to change the default behavior and/or policy to apply to certain vaults/user groups would be beneficial.

We have multiple internal URLs that are subdomains.

• Thanks for your +1, @agee.

I've passed this feedback along to our team for consideration. ๐Ÿ‘

If you have any other suggestions, we'll be here to help!

ref: 31940688

• Thomas1234
    Thomas1234
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Having the ability to change the default to autofill behaviour to "Only fill on this exact domain" would be a game changer, would love to see this functionality.

I work with 50 other devs using 1Password on a daily basis that would find this use case extremely helpful as 80% of our use case is working with different sub domains of a single parent domain.

• Hello @Thomas1234,

Thanks for your feedback and additional +1 requesting ability to change the default autofill behaviour to "Only fill on this exact domain". I've sent your thoughts over to the team by way of an internal feature request.

Let us know if you have any other feedback to share with the Product team. Thanks!

ref: 32106492

• julespic
    julespic
    Community Member
    Options

Also in my team it would be of great use if we could specify a default behavior for autofill that matches exact domain, or at least to be able to customize it when a password is saved/updated, instead of having to modify them individually in the main 1password app.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @julespic, thanks for adding your +1 here ๐Ÿ˜„ I've gone ahead and filed your feedback with our product team as well.

If you have any additional suggestions or questions, let us know!

ref: 32613320

• ya_icloud_victim
    ya_icloud_victim
    Community Member
    Options

+1. I've used 1password for ~10+ years and commissioned dozens of businesses onto the platform. Changing the default behaviour and not proving an option to reverse it seems to have snuck into the apparent oversimplification agenda between v7 and v8. Please fix it because it causes an hourly irritation for a product that I loved for so long because it never got in the way - it just worked! I've manually fixed the hundreds of passwords in my team's daily used vaults, but find myself having to fix new passwords every day.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @ya_icloud_victim, thanks for reaching out about this. I've passed your feedback along to our product team with all of the details you've provided here. If you have any further feedback or questions, let us know ๐Ÿ˜„

ref: 33601538

• Aegisnir
    Aegisnir
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

you got my vote for this too. I regularly have about 30-50 passwords for the same domains but different subdomains and would kill to have the control to set this to my default behaviour. The current default setting creates way too much clutter and goes against the very purpose of a password manager in my opinion. It should serve up the passwords I need but get out of its own way and not force me to navigate through the other 49 passwords I dont need. I have just learned I can set this manually on a per-URL basis but this is also way too much work to go back and correct hundreds of passwords with multiple URLs for each (storing IP:port and FQDN) for each. Actually now that I think about it, a mass edit option to set all (or all selected) existing autofill behaviour to "Only fill on this exact domain" would be amazing.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Aegisnir

Thank you for the detailed feedback! I've passed along your request and comments to the Product team so that they can better understand your need for the feature. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-34273545

• GazB
    GazB
    Community Member
    Options

Having a huge list for company domains when the sites are all sub-domained has allways annoyed me so discovering this option is even posible today has been a HUGE positive but now I have to go though all my passwords setting this option so having this as the default option would be amazing!

• Hey @GazB, thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to hear you've discovered this option! I'll add your +1 to change this to be the default autofill behaviour.

Ali

PB-36662109

• rinseaid
    rinseaid
    Community Member
    Options

Big plus one from me to provide a configurable setting to change the default autofill behavior.

• @rinseaid

Thank you for the request, I've passed it along to the team as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-36898496

• mjot
    mjot
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I'd like to add our voice to this conversation, as my team is experiencing the same challenge.

At our company, we conduct extensive web development work, frequently dealing with numerous credentials across different subdomains of the same primary domain. We've noticed that the current autofill behavior doesn't optimally support our workflow, where the majority (about 80%) of our operations are concentrated on various subdomains. This scenario often leads to a manual selection process for credentials, which can be time-consuming and less efficient.

Echoing the sentiments expressed in this discussion, we believe that having the option to set "Only fill on this exact domain" as the default behavior would significantly streamline our processes and enhance our overall productivity.

Could you kindly provide an update on the current status of this feature request? We are keen to know if there are any plans or developments regarding the implementation of the 'Only fill on this exact domain' as a default option.

Thank you for your continued dedication to improving the user experience.

We're using 1password Business, mainly on mac os, but also on windows machines.

• Hey @mjot, thanks for sharing your experience and providing insight on how this feature would improve your workflow. I'll pass this along to our Product team for their consideration.

Could you kindly provide an update on the current status of this feature request? We are keen to know if there are any plans or developments regarding the implementation of the 'Only fill on this exact domain' as a default option.

I apologize but we don't have any updates or plans to share regarding this feature at this time.

Thanks again for your detailed feedback here, it's greatly appreciated.

Ali

PB-37013756

• mjot
    mjot
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @AliH1P ,

Thank you for your prompt response and for forwarding our feature enhancement proposal to the Product team. I appreciate your team's openness to community feedback and your commitment to improving the user experience.

I understand that there are no current updates or plans regarding the "Only fill on this exact domain" default setting feature. However, I am very interested in keeping abreast of any future developments related to this. Could you please advise on the best way for us to stay informed about any progress or updates regarding this feature? Is there a specific channel, newsletter, or forum that we should follow for the latest news on feature updates and releases in 1Password?

Thanks once again for your assistance and for valuing our feedback.

mjot

• @mjot

Thank you for the question. All changes to 1Password are always documented in our release notes which are updated as soon as a change or new feature is included in a new update: 1Password Releases

We'll also update this thread if there is any news to share regarding the requested functionality.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• codmdu
    codmdu
    Community Member
    Options

All of our Passwords/Urls are also using the "exact domain"-Option.
    +1 for an option to set it as default, it's quite annoying if you forget to change it (which is also time waste) and have to change it later.

• Hello @codmdu,

Thanks for the +1 for this feature request to default the autofill behaviour. I've passed your request along to the product team.

Have a great day!

ref: PB 37486054

• tonylaunay
    tonylaunay
    Community Member
    Options

+1

We need this feature because our product use subdomain and it's not possible to use 1password if all passwords of all customers are displayed at the same time :/

• Hello @tonylaunay,

We appreciate the feedback. I've also included those details for your Product team's consideration.

Have a great weekend!

ref: PB 37997962

• dbourne
    dbourne
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for the ability for setting the default autofill behaviour for all new items BUT also need the ability to MASS change all the existing items.

We just migrated from another competitor and imported 1000+ items, when using the auto-fill feature it presents pages of non-related items.

• Hi @dbourne - Thanks for the +1 and additional request for a way to complete a mass update for autofill behaviour existing items. I've shared your feedback with the team.

ref: PB 38172902
    ref: PB 38173088

• Thomas1234
    Thomas1234
    Community Member
    Options

I raised a previous thread requesting this feature a year ago here https://1password.community/discussion/comment/682442

Glad to see there is more and more appetite for the feature.

I would like to emphasis how amazing it would be able to change the default autofill behaviour to "Only fill on this exact domain". It would be a complete game changer in our company of 100+

I cannot +1 this thread enough!

• Dave_1P
    edited March 26
    Options

@Thomas1234

Thank you for the continued feedback! The feature request that my colleague filed on your behalf is still open and I've let the team know that you're still eager to see this feature implemented. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-32211506

• cuisse
    cuisse
    Community Member
    Options

+1 This would save us a lot of time.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cuisse

Thank you for the feedback, I've shared it with the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-39114583

• Almondsquare35
    Almondsquare35
    Community Member
    Options

My company probably has thousands if not tens of thousands of site records sharing the same root domain and the ability to modify the default autofill behavior would be a massive Quality of Life improvement for all business users. This idea could be a simple drop-down setting in the app/extension, but it could also be further expanded upon to have a list of domains that the user or the company admin defines the autofill behavior for. This would allow most end users to have the likely desirable behavior of "fill anywhere" (like most Personal accounts), but still allow per-domain control to be "fill on this exact". I'm sure this would save hundreds of IT hours!

I cannot +1 this enough!