Dropbox sync issue - Dropbox continually syncing on Mac, but fine on Windows machine

Options

Running OS X 10.6.8 and 1P v.2.8.21 and am having a Dropbox (using v.2.0.8 on Mac) sync issue that is affecting my 1P experience -- I think it might be a Dropbox issue (rather than a 1P issue), but figured I'd check here to see if you might be able to offer any help.

Dropbox appears to be stuck continually syncing (arrows in a circle on menu icon; some files with green check, some with arrows in a circle) on my MBP. I think I've tried everything suggested by Dropbox support (see links below), including: unlinking, relinking my MBP; clearing Dropbox cache; uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox. On what appears to be a random basis, most (perhaps all, can't confirm) files seem to be syncing TO my Mac from my Windows PC; however, files are not syncing FROM my Mac to my Windows PC and my iPhone (including passwords that I've recently added to 1P on my Mac). After reinstalls, unlink/relink, etc., Dropbox continues to appear to be stuck syncing on my MBP (says "Updating (1,383 files)", and it's always around 1,000 and change files, in the Dropbox menu). On my Windows PC, Dropbox is able to complete syncing just fine (and, in fact, two files I added on my Windows PC today synced to my Dropbox folder on my Mac despite the persistent sync issues).

Having tried the suggestions at Dropbox support, I'm now at a loss. The next thing I was considering trying was moving my Dropbox folder to a new location on my Mac (e.g., from the default home location) to see if that was the issue. I noticed that this may cause an issue for 1P (think I read that somewhere on here), but perhaps that is only for the MAS version with app sandboxing (not sure of this).

For your reference, these are the Dropbox support suggestions that I've tried:
(1) Unlink/relink: https://www.dropbox.com/help/72/en
(2) Clear Dropbox cache: https://www.dropbox.com/help/328/en
(3) Check bad files: https://www.dropbox.com/help/145/en
(4) Uninstall/reinstall Dropbox

Thanks in advance!

Pat

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to contact us, Pat. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

The next thing I was considering trying was moving my Dropbox folder to a new location on my Mac (e.g., from the default home location) to see if that was the issue. I noticed that this may cause an issue for 1P (think I read that somewhere on here), but perhaps that is only for the MAS version with app sandboxing (not sure of this).

You are correct that the location of the Dropbox folder should only be a consideration for the application sandboxing in 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store). Additionally, moving it from the default location at the root of your Home folder would only make things worse. I'd suggest leaving it where it is.

Could you try something for me, though? Please try moving your 1Password.agilekeychain data file from your Dropbox folder to somewhere like your Desktop. Make sure you quit 1Password first, then move the file and double-click it in the new location to open it in 1Password.

Does Dropbox finish syncing if your data file is not located within your Dropbox folder?

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response, khad. I'm a huge fan of 1P and appreciate the great support. I just tried moving the 1Password.agilekeychain file on my Mac to my desktop, quit Dropbox, unlinked/relinked Dropbox on my Mac (merging with my local Dropbox folder), and am letting the sync progress now. It still seems to be taking longer than it should and I also just noticed that despite my moving the 1Password.agilekeychain file a few minutes ago, it has reappeared in Dropbox (I presume because Dropbox assumes that it should be there when it syncs and merges). I am hoping the sync process finishes and will send an update whether it finishes or not.

As an aside, just so we're on the same page, I now have two copies of the 1Password.agilekeychain file (one on my desktop that is the most updated and contains the passwords that I added on my Mac that weren't syncing to my other Dropbox-connected PC, my iPhone, and my iPad; the other is in Dropbox, and presumably was put there during the sync process after I removed it a few minutes ago). The "right" version is on my desktop on my Mac, which means it is not syncing across my other devices, I believe.

Thanks again for the help. Pat

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Since you have a copy of the data on your desktop, try completely removing the data file from your Dropbox folder. What I want to test is whether the issue is related to the presence of 1Password.agilekeychain in your Dropbox folder or not. If not, the issue probably has nothing to do with 1Password and is a Dropbox issue.

Once you perform the test you can move the data back to your Dropbox folder since, as you correctly surmised, it will not be syncing to your other computers/devices unless it is in your Dropbox folder.

Please let me know what you uncover.

Thanks!

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

That is what I figured. OK - trying that now. What about the ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" file? That file still appears in Dropbox.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can delete that too. It will be recreated by 1Password when you move your data file back and open it up in the Dropbox folder.

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

Done. Will let you know if that resolves the Dropbox sync issue on my Mac. Incidentally, I have both my Dell work laptop and my MBP open and as I deleted both 1P files from the Dropbox web interface (to make sure they were deleted), Dropbox pop-ups on both machines indicated that the files were deleted. I only mention this because it implies that the Dropbox sync process is mostly working on my Mac (and appears to be completely fine on my PC, as I mentioned initially).

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

Still hanging during sync on my MBP. Appears, therefore, that this is not a 1P issue (as suspected). I know it's not in your job description to troubleshoot for Dropbox, but any additional thoughts? I'm completely at a loss and wouldn't worry too much about it except that I'm completely dependent on "it-just-works" syncing of my passwords with 1P via Dropbox across all my devices.

The next things I would try are: (1) under the assumption that it's an issue with OS X (reasonable since Dropbox is syncing to my Windows laptop with no issue), I may upgrade to Mountain Lion; or (2) clean up and empty my Dropbox folder (probably on my Windows PC), refill it (assumption is that some file in there is causing it to hang and moving stuff out, deleting old/obsolete files, then moving back in will magically resolve the issue, uninstall/reinstall Dropbox on my Mac in the meantime, relink Dropbox to my Mac, then hope it syncs properly on my Mac). In the absence of any better counsel, I'll probably try (2) first, then try (1) if (2) doesn't resolve the issue. Thoughts welcome. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Try creating a new OS X user account. Does Dropbox finish syncing if you install it in the new user account? That could help narrow it down a bit.

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

So -- Dropbox did successfully finish syncing in the new user account. Does that mean there's some conflict in my main OS X user account that I need to resolve? The help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, that means the problem isn't with Dropbox (i.e. the server side). There is something specific about that account. I don't know that our own Diagnostics Report will reveal too much that would be helpful in troubleshooting this kind of Dropbox issue, but we might be able to help more if you email us one.

You can download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, khad. Just sent. The diagnostics tool reports that my "OS X user account has an invalid shortname". I'm looking into changing the shortname now, per the instructions in the report. Will report back.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Oh, I wouldn't worry about the short name. It's a red herring.

"Please do not follow any of the instructions in this report without first consulting with an AgileBits Support Jedi." :)

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

Got it - OK. Haven't done anything yet, so will wait to hear back from you if the report reveals anything.

• HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member
    Options

Try deleted the ~/Dropbox/.dropbox_cache folder.

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Henry -- I have tried that a few times (and also unlinking/relinking, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox). Unfortunately, it still hangs during sync.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see Mike has been working with you via email. We'll continue to work with you via email. :)

XMT-74855-653

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

Great - thanks!

• patrickflemming
    patrickflemming
    Community Member
    Options

Just FYI - resolved! Thanks for the help. Solution was some combination of deleting the Dropbox folder completing and repairing user permissions (http://www.fixkb.com/2011/08/reset-home-folder-permissions.html), per Mike's guidance. Again, I really appreciate all the help.

Pat

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's wonderful! I'm glad everything is resolved. Let us know if you ever have any other trouble.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :D

This discussion has been closed.