Focus cannot be taken from the omnibox in Chrome

Options
JuliusH
JuliusH
Community Member
edited May 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi!

I hesitated quite a while to report this, because I'm sure it seems to be kind of arbitrary to some folks. But as it happened to me several times, I decided to share this:
Let's assume my 1P Password is "MyPassword" and I use the Chrome browser extension on Mac OS X.
In my workflow, I sometimes open a new tab (usually with cmd + T) and want to open a webpage that I would like to sign in (cmd + alt + g).

If the extension was locked before, I'm prompted for the master-password, and that's where it happens. If I start typing right away, I'm typing in the address bar of the browser and not in the password field of the extension, so the addressbar looks like this:

Screenshot: note.io/13bN7kV

As you can see, my password is visible to everybody who might peek over my shoulder at the end of the URL. Also, if I hit enter before I realize what happened, I assume that my password has also been saved to my browser history, which makes the whole problem even more significant.

I am totally aware of the fact, that this is actually not a bug but a mistake by the user. It could be easily fixed though. Just make sure that the cursor is in the field that prompts the pasword for the extension.

Julius

PS: To prevent any misunderstanding: The whole thing only applies to situations when you have the 1P placeholder tab in the background (saying "Hello! This is a blank html page that 1Password uses to replace Chrome’s “Empty Tab” page when using the Show Popover keyboard shortcut."). For whatever reason...

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This is a limitation of Chrome. The extension APIs do not allow anything (including the 1Password extension) to take focus away from the omnibox which is precisely where the cursor happens to be when you open a new tab. It would be nice if this was changed in the future, but for now it is not possible for us to do what you are asking.

Safari and Firefox do not have this limitation.

This discussion has been closed.