What is the difference between the two entries for most Logins?

Options
nash_calif
nash_calif
Community Member
edited June 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello, when I search within my logins, often there are 2 entries. One is a key and the other is a globe/computer.

1. What is the difference between them?
  2. Why don't ALL my logins have 2 entries? For example, citibank and some others only have one, the globe/computer icon
  3. Is there any way to prevent the "duplicates" from showing up?

Thanks!

Attached/here is a screenshot example for schwab bank: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3758998/2_logins.png

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good question! At least one of those items is a Generated Password item. Generated Password items are a safety net.

A Generated Password item is created each time you click the "Save" button in the generator (within the app) or the "Fill" button within the generator in the browser extension. They do no harm in the Generated Passwords section, and you can delete them if you wish. The Generated Passwords section is intended to be a safety net, though, so we recommend leaving it intact. You can toggle its display in the sidebar if you wish (Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords). It is completely separate from your Logins which are the main items used for logging in via the mobile apps' built-in browser and the browser extensions on your desktop.

Password reuse and weak passwords are arguably the most common causes of security breaches. The Generated Passwords solve both problems in one fell swoop. Please feel free to completely ignore them if you do not wish to take advantage of the additional security they offer.

If anyone knows about an abundance of generated passwords cluttering up a data file, you can be sure that we at AgileBits do (with all the testing we constantly perform)! There are too many to worry about. I treat it like my Gmail archive. I never look at it, but I can search it if I ever need to. And I have certainly needed to once or twice after I thought I had saved a login but hadn't. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I hope that helps explain the situation a bit better. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

• nash_calif
    nash_calif
    Community Member
    Options

That was an amazing answer. Thank you so much!

One last clarification: even after I hide the generated passwords from sidebar using the Preferences menu, they seem to be returned when I search for substrings. For example, if I have a few Citibank logins, if I want to quickly focus on only those, I search 'citibank' and I want only the actual Logins to show up, not also the generated passwords. Any tips on that? Changing the search dropdown to "Title" etc doesn't help b/c often it stores the GenPassword with the same title. I'm guessing my options are:

1) periodically delete all generated passwords
    2) instead of using substring search, just put citibank logins (but obviously not the GenPasswords) in a tag called citibank and use that for frequent reference

Any recommendations between 1, 2, or a more direct way to achieve my objective?

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

I believe there is a more direct way, yes. You can change how broad 1Password's search is by switching the search from "everywhere" to the "selected section." Then select the logins vault.

Screenshot:

Does that help?

• nash_calif
    nash_calif
    Community Member
    Options

Yes that worked PERFECTLY. Thanks !!!!!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben (and myself), you are quite welcome! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.