Do I need to switch to the MAS version?

Options

I'm currently using the website version and syncing to a file within a folder within my Dropbox (if that affects how well the MAS version would work). I think I remember hearing a while back that the MAS version was to become the only way to use and upgrade 1Password, so do I need to switch to the MAS version now, or can I continue to upgrade via the website? (and if so, what will be the upgrade price in £)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2013
    Options

1Password 4 for Mac will be available on the Mac App Store and our own online store. You will be able to upgrade, but I don't have any information on upgrade pricing right now. What I can say is that any new purchase of 1Password 3 for Mac right now comes with a free upgrade to v4, and there is a 50% OFF sale right now. So one way to take advantage of this great deal — locking in the super low price and free v4 upgrade — would be to purchase 1Password 4 on the Mac App Store. As I said, I don't have any details on upgrade pricing right now, but the current 50% OFF sale is less expensive than any previous upgrade. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate, but you are welcome to wait and upgrade later once 1Password 4 for Mac has been released. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• nitrous
    nitrous
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks :) I went ahead and bought the MAS version. Will I still be able to participate in the v4 beta?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ok, thanks I went ahead and bought the MAS version.

Thank you. We appreciate your support.

Will I still be able to participate in the v4 beta?

Yep. Absolutely.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

The link in post #2 takes me to the iOS version of 1Password 4 in iTunes store....not the 1Password for 4 in MAS, for Mac.

Am I misunderstanding something?

• Ben
    Options

Sorry about that. The link for the MAS is here:

Mac App Store: http://j.mp/1P4-ma

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The link in post #2 takes me to the iOS version of 1Password 4 in iTunes store

Edited. Thanks for catching that. :)

• Migs
    Migs
    Community Member
    Options

So the real question: Is the MAS version (v3.9) safer than the Webstore version? And, why cant we upgrade version (v3.8) to the MAS (v3.9) via the the Webstore?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is the MAS version (v3.9) safer than the Webstore version?

1Password 3.8 and 3.9 are essentially identical. They are both "safe" in as many senses of that word as I can think of. But perhaps I have misunderstood what you meant. There really isn't much of any difference between the two of them. They really only have different version numbers for technical reasons so we can differentiate the distribution channels (direct from our website vs. Mac App Store).

why cant we upgrade version (v3.8) to the MAS (v3.9) via the the Webstore?

Apple simply doesn't allow license transfer into or out of the Mac App Store. Those are Apple's rules for every app, not just 1Password, and we do not have any control over them. You can read more in our support article which addresses exactly that question.

Is it possible to transfer my existing license into the Mac App Store?

Please let me know if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.