Running 1Password using Chrome extension/DropBox

Options

Hello! I just purchased 1Password for Mac a few days ago and am loving it. After getting it up and running on my Mac laptop this weekend, I got into work this morning and wanted to do the same on my Windows PC. I already moved my keychain to DropBox, so I assumed I would be able to just install the Chrome extension on my work computer and that everything would work fine. However, the 1Password extension icon is showing the little red exclamation mark and timing out each time I try to log in.

My question: Is it possible for the browser extension to directly access the keychain in DropBox, or do I have to actually install the 1Password software on my work computer for it to function correctly? If so, doesn't that seem to defeat the purpose of using DropBox sync in the first place? Just to reiterate:

• I have 1Password installed on my Mac (Mountain Lion) laptop at home, with the keychain stored in my DropBox folder.
  • I am running Google Chrome on my Windows 7 work computer. Yes, it is the latest version.
  • I have DropBox installed on my work computer. It is also the latest version.
  • Can I simply install the 1Password extension on my work computer and have it access my keychain in DropBox, or do I have to install the entire program?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The sandboxed browser extensions connect to a background process running locally on the machine in order to access the data file which is outside the sandbox. I don't know of the feasibility of accessing Dropbox data directly via a sandboxed browser extension, but that is not how 1Password currently works. It may not even be technically possible.

You need to install 1Password on the machine where you want to use the browser extensions. Then everything should work just fine. :)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

• kurtle
    kurtle
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is my pleasure to help. :)

Cheers!

• reverb09
    reverb09
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same question. I'm now using a corporate computer on which I can't install 1Password, and it would be so great if it could access the data file on Dropbox. I really miss having the browser extension. Thank goodness for 1Password Anywhere, at least!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It would be nice. I'll let the developers know you would appreciate it as well. It helps to get a sense of what folks' needs are since we do not track any usage data for obvious privacy and security reasons. Your feedback is all that we can rely on. I'll leave the technical aspects of such an implementation (if it is possible) to them. :)

• nease
    nease
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to see this feature as well. If it needs to be a paid "app" in the Chrome store with pricing comparable to the iOS app, I would pay for that as well! It would just be nice to be able to use the 1Password extension from all of the computers I have the extension installed on without installing the whole app. However, if it can't be done securely, I completely understand!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback, @nease! I'll pass your vote along!

• MichaelWHolley
    MichaelWHolley
    Community Member
    edited June 2013
    Options

I'd like to add my vote to this request. If the Chrome extension had enough intelligence to connect to the keychain directly then two things would happen for me:

1. I won't get so many errors on my Mac about the background service not running, even though it is.
    2. I would be able to access my keychain when I'm using Chrome in Ubuntu. I bounce between Mac, Windows, and Linux quite frequently and because of that I have this dual password manager setup where I use both LastPass and 1Password which causes a big mess. I honestly would prefer to use 1Password everywhere though.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Noted! Thank you very much for your feedback (and kind words about 1Password), Michael.

This discussion has been closed.