Is there a possibility to convert Secure notes into Software entries the easy way?

Options

Hi there,

big fan here! Switched from Password Wallet, finding my imported items (no matter what category) in the "Secure Notes" field. Before really tediously copy/pasting all the content into the Software category, I wanted to ask whether there is an easier way to convert a Secure Note into a "Software" entry.

thanks in advance,

mat

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thanks for using 1Password, Mat!

Since the data format of every app is different, 1Password only imports Logins and Secure Notes. It would be tricky difficult to map all the fields from every other app's exported data especially when their are custom fields.

The same applies for data within 1Password. A Secure Note is freeform data, so there isn't really a way to map what is essentially "prose" to specific fields in a Software License.

What you can do, though, is set up a file specifically for importing Software Licenses. We can import license information from a specific format of CSV used by LicenseKeeper. So if you create a CSV file from your information with columns in this order you can import it directly into Software License items.

Column 1: Product Name
    Column 2: Version
    Column 3: Registration code
    Column 4: Registration name
    Column 5: Registered email
    Column 6: Registered Company
    Column 7: Publisher Name
    Column 8: Publisher Website
    Column 9: Support email
    Column 10: Order Date
    Column 11: Price
    Column 12: Tax
    Column 13: Order number
    Column 14: Notes

You can leave the content in some of these columns blank, but if you create a CSV with this layout you should be able to use the LicenseKeeper importer on your data.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience of this, but if you are comfortable working in spreadsheets, this should be easier than manually entering the license information. I hope that helps a bit. Please let me know.

• mbeckman2
    mbeckman2
    Community Member
    Options

I am trying to import software licenses from the MacOS Wallet app, which can export only as tab-delimited values. This is because the notes field, among others, can contain commas, so they can't be used for delimiters (Wallet won't escape them either). I did what you suggested, putting the TSV file into Excel and rearranging the columns to match the above list. However, when I try to import, I get the error message "Failed to run import script: CSV illegalFormatError. However, I can't use the CSV format due to the comma problem with Notes (and other fields). How can I import these 650 entries? Why don't you support a generalized TSV import function that lets me import into any 1Password record type (not just Login)?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

TSV should work, but you may need to properly escape some characters. Could you please email us a sanitized version of the import that is giving the error? We'd love to follow up.

support@ agilebits .com

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Options

You can use a spreadsheet app such as Libre Office Calc to import the TSV and convert to quoted CSV.

I suppose I could cobble together out of some CSV scripts I already have a perl script to do the conversion for you.

This discussion has been closed.