Prevent generated passwords to show in the search results

Options

Here is my problem, having all generated passwords being pulled up clutters the search results.

I have already emailed customer support about this and they have already answered my question, there is no way to tell 1Passwords to hide all generated passwords. However, I am curious about what would happen if manually delete all generated passwords so that they don't show up in my search results. Can anyone tell me if that's a good idea?

Also, is this something 1Passwords developers are already working on or is this something that is still being considered?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good question! Generated Password items are a safety net.

A Generated Password item is created each time you click the "Save" button in the generator (within the app) or the "Fill" button within the generator in the browser extension. They do no harm in the Generated Passwords section, and you can delete them if you wish. The Generated Passwords section is intended to be a safety net, though, so we recommend leaving it intact. You can toggle its display in the sidebar if you wish (Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords). It is completely separate from your Logins which are the main items used for logging in via the mobile apps' built-in browser and the browser extensions on your desktop.

Password reuse and weak passwords are arguably the most common causes of security breaches. The Generated Passwords solve both problems in one fell swoop. Please feel free to completely ignore them if you do not wish to take advantage of the additional security they offer.

If anyone knows about an abundance of generated passwords cluttering up a data file, you can be sure that we at AgileBits do (with all the testing we constantly perform)! There are too many to worry about. I treat it like my Gmail archive. I never look at it, but I can search it if I ever need to. And I have certainly needed to once or twice after I thought I had saved a login but hadn't. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

You can narrow your search results to just the "Selected Section", though, by choosing that option in the search bar.

I hope that helps explain the situation a bit better and gives you a way to search without including the Generated Passwords. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.