SplashID import issues

Options

I am contemplating moving from SplashID to 1Password.

I downloaded the latest 1Password for Mac (Version 3.8.21 (build 32009)), and am trying to import the data
after exporting it from SplashID v6 to a .vid file.

But the import always errors with:

Failed to open '/Users/mathias/tmp/to1p.vid' using guess encoding.

Error code: 257

Please choose another Character Encoding from the list.

whatever Character Encoding I choose, it's always the same

This is not a promising start...

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sejtam,

Could you verify that when you exported from SplashID you did not enter a password during the export process?

If you did enter it, that will encrypt the vid file and we cannot read those.

If you didn't enter it, could you open the exported file in a standard text editor and confirm you can read the contents?

I've heard from a few users that the newest version of SplashID is not able to export without encrypting the data, if this is true then we would be unable to import from SplashID at this time.

• sejtam
    sejtam
    Community Member
    Options

Correct, no password entered during the export

I found that the filename I gave was created as a directory:

../to1p.vid/

which contains

ls -lR
    total 760
    drwxr-xr-x 4 mathias staff 136 Jan 21 2013 Files
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 mathias staff 387458 Aug 8 22:42 to1p.vid

./Files:
    total 1624
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mathias staff 10808 Jan 21 2013 687e593d.sfa
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mathias staff 815560 Jan 20 2013 fcdff92.sfa

the /to1p.vid/to1p.vid file looks readable (though it seems to contain many ˆW characters, often in sequence). It looks like some form of CSV

the two .sfa files look unreadable

Inside 1password's import wizard,. I cannot cd into /to1p.vid/, I just see that as a single file...so I cannot open ../to1p.vid/to1p.vid itself..

I also tried exporting as CSV from 1Password, and that seems to import using 'Mac OS Roman' , but without making a single special selection, it imported everything as a 'Login' (1800 entries) and they were all unusable.

Is there a defined CSV format that can be used? I could try and export to CSV and split all my >1.8k records into separate CSV files,
    which then could hopefully be imported separately, one per record type.

BTW: I do find 1-password's rigid record format very disappointing. SplashID allows custom fields for every record type and allows creattion of new record types (with tagging of which fields should be masked/unmasked etc). That allows much better to adapt records to reality that your rather rigid format.

Also, I hope there will be an Android version that actually allows adding/editing of data (and syncing back to the desktop)

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sejtam

So, that is kind of interesting. Is there any way you could create a fresh data file and enter some dummy data in it, then export that and send to us? I'd love to see what you're seeing without having any private information of yours present.

As far as the CSV information, I think seeing the vid format a bit first will help us determine if going down that path is needed.

With regard to the data format of 1Password. 1Password 4 (for iOS, and soon Mac) does support custom sections and fields in our existing data types. It does not let you create custom data types however. Part of the rigidity is required, example would be with regard to logins, we need certain information in certain fields or it breaks everything in the browser extension. So, having a custom data type that you then want to be a login wouldn't work. Same for credit cards and identity information. If we ever want to be able to handle it in any way we need to know what it is and that's why some of the rigidity is there. Though, the creation of custom sections and fields in the new version will let you be a bit more creative with the existing data types.

As I recall, SplashID doesn't do any filling in browsers, so they don't have this situation to deal with. Unless they changed anything in recent versions to support this type of feature anyway. I honestly can't claim to keep up with features for other products. But being a data safe for information is a bit more open than trying to contain that data and also do things with it for you. Just something to keep in mind.

If you can send an example file that would be fantastic. You're welcome to email it, support@agilebits.com just mention Kyle and a link to this thread and they'll make sure I see it asap.

This discussion has been closed.