1Password extension under different Chrome 'user' instances

Options

I've been a rabid 1Password user for a while now and it's been fantastic. As a consultant I have ended up with at least eight Google 'identities' for various clients, which I recently discovered I can now manage using the Chrome 'users' feature (chrome, settings, add user). It works such that each new user has its own google identity, and can access a browser window with a distinct identity that has its own distinct settings - bookmarks, history, connection to google drive, mail, apps, saved passwords - and extensions. This feature is an absolute godsend for keeping straight all the various google docs, google admin dashboards and web console bookmarks for each client, although 1Password doesn't seem to like it. I found that I can do the 'drag to install' trick to add the 1Password extension to a 'user' Chrome sub-window (since it doesn't carry over from my primary user), but when I use the 'command - \' shortcut, it opens the 1Password extension in the primary user account window - not the sub-user - and then it doesn't interact at all with the sub-window.

I suspect that is due to the way the Chrome 'sub-user' mechanism isolates the sub-windows, so I'm not sure if it's possible, but what I'm thinking would be AWESOME would be if possible to 1) have the 1Password extension work in sub-user windows, but ever better, if 2) the 'user' identity associated with the sub-window could be matched to a tag within 1Password, such that the user/password options for the sub-user would be confined to accounts with that tag, so I could have multiple similar (but unique) accounts - say for each client's GoDaddy or OpenDNS or Google Apps Dashboard account - that would default to the correct instance of the login account for that client. Ideally, from my 'main' account I could see ALL of them (maybe as a choosable option), but when I'm in a sub-account window it only shows the login / pw info relevant to that clients accounts.

Thanks for creating such a fantastic product - I look forward to it continuing to become even more awesome in the future.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.8.2 with the latest Chrome (Version 24.0.1312.57) and 1Password Version 3.8.20 (build 31499).

ch

Comments

• Hi @chappel,

The keyboard shortcut support is likely to get better once Chrome enables official support for the extensions to have their own keyboard shortcuts.

At the moment, we have to work around it by using our 1Password Helper background service to listen to your keyboard shortcuts and activate it based on where the shortcut came from.

I'm sure you can imagine the problem now, there's no way to determine which Chrome process/window belongs to which user, it doesn't carry that information externally, only within the browser. So, it activates the extension to the first Chrome process it finds, which is the first Chrome window you opened.

The 1Password extension does work in all windows, it just can't activate the keyboard shortcut in all of them. What you can do is use the omnibar for now. To do this, press Command + L to enter the address bar and type 1P + space to enable the 1Password omnibar mode, you can then enter name of the login you want and enter, it'll then either open the site to fill in or simply fill in if it is already on that page.

Once Chrome enables the keyboard shortcuts, we'll switch over and 1Password can then work in all windows properly.

As for the selective data per Google Identity, that's not likely to happen as the extension is isolated from the rest of the browser, it is likely not possible to know which account you're in to filter the data. It is certainly an interesting idea. We could do something like building tags in the extension, so that you can quickly narrow down which items you want to see, this one would be more probable and it is something we want to do in the future.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to see tags in the extension, all extensions :P I was looking for a topic and the search yielded your post mike.

:D

• joeybaker
    joeybaker
    Community Member
    Options

This is a feature that's been bugging me for years. Is it possible to use a background.html and javascript to trigger the extension? Or maybe use the focused attribute of window?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This is resolved in 1Password 4. Please give it a try and let me know what you think: http://j.mp/1Pm4bSignup :)

Just be sure to install the 1P4 extension in each user and then restart Chrome.

This discussion has been closed.