access to 1password on virtual windows computer from a mac

Options

I had 1password on my old windows computer and now have a mac and use parallels for some work programs. I've managed to set up 1password from old computer to windows virtual but am I now able have my data on the mac and if so how?
thanks in advance.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can install Dropbox both in OS X and Windows, or - if you're running Windows in Parallels Desktop - store your agilekeychain in your OS X home folder and then share this with Windows (you should find a shortcut named "Parallels Shared Folders" on your Windows desktop).

• Elana
    Elana
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stefan, I'll give it a go.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Stefan, you are quite welcome! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• pipefine
    pipefine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

in new version of Parallels there is a built-in Dropbox "sync". Is it possible to use this option without extra installation of dropbox?
    Does the browser plugin in touch of dropbox folder work independent on the installation of the desktop version? or do I need a installation of desktop version in virtual maschine?

thx, markus

http://www.parallels.com/de/landingpage/pd/general/?utm_nooverride=1&gclid=CPbooemS87kCFYm_3godl3gAhw
    "Neu! Beeindruckende Optimierungen für SkyDrive, iCloud, Photo Stream, Dropbox und Google Drive: Speichere nie mehr ungewollt Dateien doppelt auf deiner Festplatte und nutze deinen Speicherplatz einfach optimal"

an old discussion...
    http://support.agilebits.com/discussions/1password-for-windows/188-1password-working-with-parallels-with-both-windows-mac

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

in new version of Parallels there is a built-in Dropbox "sync". Is it possible to use this option without extra installation of dropbox?

I'm guessing yes.

• pipefine
    pipefine
    Community Member
    Options

lol, I guessing too. But HOW? After installation I choose the option "Open existing 1Password Data..."
    I get the following error ...

1Password/Dropbox screenshot

The dropbox folder is mounted as network drive

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your 1Password data is called 1Password.agilekeychain. What is inside that 1Password folder in your screenshot?

• pipefine
    pipefine
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

The 1Password folder contains the 1Password.agilekeychain file. But I recognized that the file had only a size of 72kb, after a research I found an other .agilekeychain file in my dropbox. now it works. sorry, my fault :(
    thanks for help

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pipefine,

Thanks for letting us know you got things sorted out! If you run into any other snags, we're here for you :)

• bender
    bender
    Community Member
    Options

I use the new Parallels 9 DropBox Sync feature and and I wonder if this is safe when I choose the .agilekeychain in my synced DropBox folder.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bender,

If you are concerned about data loss, I'd recommend running a backup from 1Password on your Mac prior to accessing your keychain via Parallels.

If you are thinking more about data security, when 1Password writes your file to Dropbox, it is encrypted. It doesn't get unencrypted until it is opened again by 1Password. So accessing your 1Password.agilekeychain via Dropbox or via the Dropbox Sync feature really shouldn't make a difference.

I hope this answers your questions, but if you need any further clarification, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.