Synching with Box.com

Options

I've been using Box.com instead of Dropbox recently, and like it a lot more (not to mention it has 25 MB of free storage vs. 2 MB on Dropbox)...and it's mobile version seems better than Dropbox Mobile.

Is there any chance 1Password will every allow synching of "1Password.agilekeychain" via Box? I hate keeping Dropbox active for just one file. Or, if not, hopefully 1Password 4.0 for the desktop will allow iCloud synching, which would let me keep my keychain there and still remove Dropbox.

Comments

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Please disregard this question. The answer is "We (Agile Bits) haven't ruled the possibility out but at the moment we have no specific plans to build box.net support."

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Larry

Sent you a message here on the forums

• Hi Larry,

1Password 4 for OS X at the Mac App Store will support iCloud sync, it'll be available as a free update for all Mac App Store customers. All 2013 purchases at our webstore will get a free update to 1Password 4 but no iCloud support since iCloud is restricted to the Apple's App Stores.

So, if you decide to upgrade to 1Password 4, be sure to do it at the Mac App Store rather than our web store.

You can use Box.net to sync your 1Password data if you're only syncing between computers but it won't work with iOS apps as it requires the sync APIs to be built into the 1Password app. At the moment, Box.net doesn't fit our requirements but they may in the future.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Mike! Yeah, I had figured this out. Actually, synching through iCloud will be fine, as soon as 4.0 for Mac (MAS) releases. i currently have the latest Mac and iOS versions from the MAS & iTunes, so I'll switch to iCloud synching on all three as soon as 4.0 hits the MAS.

• HI Larry,

Great. If you want, you can enable iCloud sync in your iOS app right now and when 1Password 4 is available as a free update in your Mac App Store app, it'll automatically use your iCloud data by default and you then can disable/remove Dropbox after that. :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I can have both iCloud and Dropbox checked simultaneously with iOS? I didn't think about that. Thanks!

• Hi Larry,

Yep, we designed the sync subsystem to be flexible in 1Password 4, you can turn on all three if you want or any other combinations.

• fargo888
    fargo888
    Community Member
    Options

May I ask when 1Password 4 for Mac will be released?

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

Very very good question !!!!
    1P for Mac, we have been waiting for more than one year now

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited March 2013
    Options

I don't imagine that iCloud Sync will ever be an option for non-Apple platforms, so the need for Dropbox sync or something else of that ilk isn't going away. I'd be pleased to see SpiderOak support, but I understand that you guys have to prioritize your resources and that particular enhancement would not rank very high on my list.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2013
    Options

May I ask when 1Password 4 for Mac will be released?

"Soon" is all I can say without fear of being demoted from "Social Choreographer" to "Social Pariah". Please keep an eye on our blog (and Twitter and Facebook if you like) for news and updates. :)

• tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    Options

I too would love to see Box.net support. So I'm guessing the ball is in their court, as in there is nothing for you to do but wait for the tools to be released?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As far as I understand it, yes. That is correct. I don't believe they offer the APIs we would need across all platforms. It's possible it has changed, but additionally I think syncing is only available to business users or something strange like that. Last I looked at it, it was storage not syncing.

• tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member
    Options

I am pretty sure that, although they promote Box Sync's usefulness for businesses, it is also available for individuals. https://www.box.com/settings/sync/

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, tatchley is correct...though BoxSync is primarily targeting enterprise, it's also very much for personal use. I got lucky and was able to download the free 25 GB version of BoxSync so I use it a lot more than Dropbox (5 GB), which I now only keep around for the purpose of 1Password sync. When version 1P v4 comes out I'll probably start using iCloud sync for 1P and the iOS version (though I could use iCloud for it now).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013
    Options

Sorry for not being clear. I didn't Google it and was only going from memory. Yes, of course individuals can use BoxSync, but they are definitely marketing it to businesses: "The First Cross-Platform Sync for the Enterprise".

• jeff3f
    jeff3f
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to comment (this thread came up when I googled for 1password sync with box). I just got 1password4 and Mavericks (I use windows too).

Box seems to be making inroads with me and with several folks I know in University work settings... Given a proliferation of 3rd party platforms for general purpose syncing, and too few workplaces are using windows 8 (skydrive), getting workable cross platform sharing is hard. Worse because some places block Dropbox now (but usually offer a more controlled alternative).

What about an untraditional sync method that can accommodate a win7 machine that is behind a firewall? I'm at a loss, but them I'm no developer!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

As much as I like the free 25 GB of Box, I finally gave up on it and use primarily Google Sync for everything I do in the Google Cloud (since Apple just can't seem to get iCloud right). The only reason I even use Dropbox is for synching 1Password with my Mac and two iOS devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeff3f,

Unfortunately, at this point we are not aware of any untraditional sync methods that would work in your situation. To have access to your passwords on this machine, your best option is to save your 1Password.agilekeychain file onto a USB flash drive and take it with you to work.

I'm sorry I don't have a better solution for you, but if you have any further questions, we'd be happy to help!

• jeff3f
    jeff3f
    Community Member
    Options

I posted in another part of this forum about this, but by untraditional I guess I meant choosing a file location (which is kinda what dropbox sync does on OSX anyway?). if all fails, I'll likely go the USB route--I feel that that will likely work in the future.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeff3f,

We are looking into ways to include more sync solutions in 1Password. In fact, 1Password 4 allows folder sync, which might just fit your needs a bit better. It is Mac-only at this point, but we are working on an update to our Windows software that could see this feature expanded. I certainly can't promise anything, but we're always keeping our eyes open for viable options to keep your data synced and secure. :)

• jeff3f
    jeff3f
    Community Member
    Options

thanks--I'll see what I can figure out. appreciate the quick responses!

This discussion has been closed.