Dropbox API for 1Password Touch (iPhone/iPad)

gregkeene
gregkeene
Community Member
edited April 2010 in iOS
Hi all:

I know there have been mentions of this in the past, but given that more companies are participating in the private beta at Dropbox, I thought I'd put my 2¢ in. I would love to see a sync function for the touch versions that natively synced with the 1Password agilekeychain in my Dropbox. That way, no remembering to sync before leaving the house, no real-time WiFi status issues, etc.

On the surface it seems like a very doable, feature, but I'm sure there are elements that I'm not considering - there always are. However, what a great feature that would be.

If you'll indulge me, it seems like it should work something like this.

Setup 1Password Touch Sync:
1) Choose sync using Dropbox and authenticating with Dropbox.
2) Point to the agilekeychain in the Dropbox system..
3) Enter the agilekeychain master password (for more on my thoughts around the term Master Password see this post - http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?23310-Dropbox-Master-Password-Terminology-Confusion&p=115630). Entering the Master Password should should be a one-time activity, just like the digits a user types in today to setup syncing with 1Password mac.
4) First-time synchronization occurs.

Synchronization should happen in the background anytime the user runs 1Password touch (may be a Settings preference).
Replace information on Touch device on next sync should be an option.

This would be an absolute killer feature and really make 1Password the most painless password manager in all platforms!

Best regards,

Greg

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi Greg

If you haven't checked out QuickOffice they use the DB private API, and it works quite well. I downloaded it and tried it out sometime back because of the DB API. It downloads the file you want to edit and then re uploads it to DB. I mention this just for historical data in that its working in the real world. Maybe the guys will elect to go the same type of route. As I understand it mobileme / aka webdav will be first out. But alas I don't know specifics on the team and priority's change due to Bugs etc.

Oh and yes if they make it a reality yes t would be a killer feature for me to.
  • gregkeene
    gregkeene
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Tommy,

Yes, I have checked it out. It's quite cool. I'm hoping they can get the directory performance (to refresh the list) to match the Native Dropbox app - isn't there for me yet (at least on the iPad - haven't put it on the iPhone). But, very cool. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully, still in the queue for 1Password.

Thanks!

Greg
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    We haven't lost track of the idea of using Dropbox as a sync method to the mobile device apps. We'd have some additional hurdles to overcome that some apps wouldn't but we love a challenge! :) We appreciate knowing this would be something of interest.
  • mjrainwater
    edited December 1969
    This would be the best! The dropbox sync would be so much easier than all the wifi sync issues with a computer. Thank you.
  • wwarby
    wwarby
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'd just like to add my voice to this chorus of support. This would probably be the single most desirable feature I can think of for 1Password on iPhone.
  • bzlightyear
    edited December 1969
    I'll add my support to this request as well. I personally don't care about performance, whether it takes 1 min or 60, i just want it to sync with dropbox automatically just like it does when I make changes on my Macs. I have an iMac, MacBook, iPhone and an iPad that all need to be kept in sync. Having to remember to sync my devices manually with my iMac means it rarely happens and makes 1Password virtually worthless on my i devices. I have essentially paid you guys 3x for the same functionality just running a different platform. I really expected an automatic sync'ing solution for all my devices, not just for my Macs. If dropbox isn't cutting it, then check out Amazon S3 or the host of similar cloud storage providers. But frankly, you guys need to solve this to keep me as a customer.
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    bzlightyear, thanks for your feedback. Dropbox syncing is a very high priority for us at the moment. Believe me, we want this just as much, or more, than you guys. It would make things exponentially easier for us, as support staff, to have easier and better syncing options. We appreciate your patience while we work to improve things for everyone.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Yes, we hope to get a beta finished soon. I hope Google Chrome users won't kick us too hard for delaying the Chrome extension.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Very very interesting post roustem. In that case we can let you slide for being scarce around here lately. :smile:

You know we do miss you guys around here. But as I said we are ready to make an exception on this case just this one time only. :lol:
  • rrroseen
    edited December 1969
    I already use dropbox to sync all my MAC's 1password. 2 desktops that would sync not just with dropbox web but also dropboxes LAN feature were syncs between dropbox on the same computer in the same local network are not duplicated over the web instead go computer to computer.

So it seems reasonable and saves a lot of trouble to have one more Mac, the iphone, sync 1password from Dropbox.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, rrroseen!

I think you'll like what we're doing!
  • dhocksta
    dhocksta
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm an enthusiastic Evernote user...primarily for one reason: it automatically syncs between my Mac, Web, iPhone and iPad...no special anything to setup. I sincerely hope that's where we're going with this discussion. While I am also a Dropbox user (and love it), I don't know if getting caught up in using Dropbox as the conduit for Mac->iPhone->iPad syncing is a hinderance...my point is: doesn't matter (to me) what tools you use to accomplish it: "invisible / behind-the-scenes" syncing between the devices is incredibly important and there are examples out there that work...Dropbox is OK with me, but if THAT is the problem, any web-solution you choose would be just as good....

Thanks...and I'd LOVE to be part of the beta...
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    The Evernote products sync to their "cloud" servers using the HTTP protocols so no real configuration other than using the same Evernote account is needed. We are not providing cloud servers of our own so we can't use that method. Hopefully having multiple sync methods for your 1Password data will be the winning ticket for everyone.
  • bzlightyear
    edited December 1969
    Hi

Sounds like there has been positive movement towards a dropbox based sync solution. Was just woundering if you guys had an estimate on when we might expect something? I would be more than happy to participate in a beta and provide feedback.

Also, didn't mean to sound harsh in my previous post. Think you guys make a great product, just really need a sync solution that works automatically across all my devices.

Bzlightyear
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi

Sounds like there has been positive movement towards a dropbox based sync solution. Was just woundering if you guys had an estimate on when we might expect something? I would be more than happy to participate in a beta and provide feedback.

Also, didn't mean to sound harsh in my previous post. Think you guys make a great product, just really need a sync solution that works automatically across all my devices.

Bzlightyear

Things had been going swimmingly along with our efforts to sync with Dropbox but we've hit a snag and are awaiting assistance/changes from the Dropbox team. When that settles out we'll be able to continue our efforts.

Sorry, we cannot give a feature or bug fix release date for any of our products. If we were to 'slip' even for the best of reasons our customers would be disappointed.

You can stay tuned to announcements via our weblog at http://blog.agile.ws/, where you can sign up for our Newsletter too and via Twitter (http://twitter.com/1Password). Trust me... when this work is completed it will be "news" that we'll want to share. :)
This discussion has been closed.