Select portion of password

giles
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hi

I've just started to use your software and it is excellent, however I have the same problem with UK banks that ask for certain digits from a password. The problem with using the secure notes is that you have to open up 1p and look to see what the password was.

Would it be possible for the user to select the relevant login from the 1P > Go & Fill Login menu and then 2 things happen:
1, 1P loads the correct url
2, 1P has an additional screen pop up that asks the user to select which digits are required from the passcode, which would depend upon what the bank is requesting on the
screen.

Once the user selects the digits and presses ok, the form will be filled and submitted

That would still be much better than having to go into secure notes. In the 1P software, the login password field could be set with a random flag which would prompt 1P to open the extra screen.

Thanks
giles

Comments

• dteare
    edited December 1969
    Hi giles, and welcome to the forums!

giles wrote:
    I've just started to use your software and it is excellent

Thank you!

giles wrote:
    I have the same problem with UK banks that ask for certain digits from a password. The problem with using the secure notes is that you have to open up 1p and look to see what the password was.

This is not possible in 1Password 2 (you posted this in the 1Password 2 forum) and 1Password 2 is not being updated anymore so unless you upgrade you will need to continue to rely on the Secure Note approach.

In 1Password 3, however, there is an easier way. Instead of using a separate Secure Note you can store the data in the Notes field of your Login, and then you can view the Login's details inside the web browser. To do this, click the 1P toolbar icon and select the Login you want, just like you normally would when filling, but hold the Shift key when clicking it. The Edit Login window will appear and you'll be able to see all the information you stored in the Login.

The only thing I don't like about this approach is you start immediately in Edit mode. I want to change things a bit to start in view mode so you can easily copy the data you want. Having an Edit and Delete button will allow you to be more explicit about your intentions which I think will be a good thing. In the mean time, however, you can simply click Cancel each time to make sure you do not accidentally edit the Login.

If you purchased 1Password within the last year you will already have a 1Password 3 license and can upgrade for free.
  • giles
    edited December 1969
    Hi Dave

Sorry for the wrong forum posting, I found a thread that was similar to my experiences and tagged on the end of it. Anyway, I'm impressed that I have a response from a founder, thats what I call personal service!

I tried the notes and it works well and I agree that it would be best in view mode rather than edit, as long as view mode allows select & copy.

I have now found another variation on another bank that I use. This bank asks a security question, but it chooses from 4 different subjects, so the notes will be ideal to keep the 4 answers for copy / pasting.

The only downside that I can see from the notes feature is that it does not autofill and so you need a few more keystrokes, but that is just me being lazy after being spoilt with your Go & fill feature which is excellent.

Thanks
    Giles
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for the additional feedback Giles. When a site only expects one possible answer it's really easy for 1Password to store that and quite often even to Fill the value, but when a web site starts using techniques to make *you* think, imagine how the 1Password software must "feel". It cannot read the intentions of the web server or HTML page to determine what response is appropriate so the next best thing is to let you keep all the values handy and that's the approach we've taken. I do actually have one case where I have 3 different Logins for the same site with each "security" response in the appropriate field for a Fill: it's up to me to know which one the web form is expecting. And of course each of my "security" answers is actually a strong generated password... not the actual city I was born, or my mother's maiden name or ... and the web server doesn't know or care. :)
This discussion has been closed.