Lock on close/minimize?

Used to be in version 4 on Windows that the vault would lock when the app windows was closed. In v7 this is no longer the case, the vault locks only when the desktop locks and/or after a period of total system inactivity (which I assume means lack of mouse/keyboard input). This can lead to 1P being unlocked for long periods of time even when the window is closed.

This represents a large security hole if a system is open for remote access (RDP), as a remote user could grab the display/keyboard out from under the local user (or vice versa) with the vault currently unlocked.

Can you please restore the ability to have the vault lock as soon as the 1P window is closed?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey, @jimgarrison! We absolutely do have plans for additional auto lock settings, including one to lock when the main window is closed, but I'd also encourage folks not to rely on auto lock in every scenario where you feel 1Password should be locked. We definitely want auto lock to be able to help in most of these cases, but we all have different threat models and auto lock can't cover them all. To use myself as an example, I use 1Password constantly throughout my work day and hate having the main window taking up screen real estate. I'd never use such a setting because I'd be unlocking constantly, but I still do encounter cases where I need 1Password to be locked and auto lock won't be able to take care of it. I have trained myself to open the main window and press Windows Key + Shift + L any time I believe 1Password needs to be locked and would encourage others to consider similar habits. Yes, this sometimes means I'm doing nothing (auto lock has already taken care of me), but it's just one more layer of protection to ensure my data is locked down every time I think it needs to be. We want auto lock to help, but only you can make sure you've got all of your bases covered. :chuffed:

• jrivett
    jrivett
    Community Member

Please restore the missing lock options in the Windows version. I don't understand why they were removed in the first place. I'd like to see 'Lock when main window is closed' and 'Lock on minimize' options. At the very least, make the Windows options match the Mac options, which include 'Lock when main window is closed'.

I read elsewhere that the justification for removing 'Lock on minimize' from the Windows version was that apps 'are not informed' when an app is minimized. I find that very difficult to believe.

Just to be clear: I'm not asking for these behaviours to be forced, but simply for there to be options available, as there were previously in the Windows version, and as there are still in the Mac version.

• As I mentioned, @jrivett, these additions are on the roadmap already. 1Password 7 was a total rebuild of 1Password 4, so while we didn't technically remove anything, we know some features folks appreciated from 1Password 4 haven't been added just yet and are absolutely tracking demand for them so that can inform our prioritization decisions. Thanks for sharing your feedback and I'll make sure the team sees it. :+1:

• jrivett
    jrivett
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that you're working on this. As for version 7 being a total rewrite: as a developer, I can sympathize; as a customer, I'm not interested in your internal struggles, and see only that you made your software less useful.

• I don't expect any sympathies, @jrivett. Similarly so, we sympathize with our customers' views of this, too, but that doesn't make our time less finite or tasks more complete. As a customer of many services myself, I prefer to understand why something is missing, rather than just being told it's being worked on. Far from being any request for sympathy, I share this simply because it's something I appreciate as a customer myself. If it's something that helps you as well, that's great. If not, you're under no obligation whatsoever to sympathize in any way. We're more than willing to take our licks as they come. After all, they help us better understand what y'all want to see in the apps you use, which can only serve to help us improve 1Password moving forward. :+1:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @deepdvd,

Thank you for your feedback! 1Password 7 is under active development, so we have plans to add additional lock options in the future.

option to default to "Unlock using Secure Desktop" (On first run when Windows Hello isn't available yet)

"Unlock using Secure Desktop" should be available for you, when you start 1Password 7:

option to double-click system tray icon to open 1Password app

You can open full 1Password 7 app by holding Ctrl on your keyboard and clicking 1Password icon in the system tray. No other options are available now, but I will forward your suggestion to our team.

Your feedback is really appreciated, so please let us know if you have any other questions or suggestions. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Mag748
    Mag748
    Community Member

@bundtkate some of us do not use Standalone 1Password 7 for Windows as often as you, and would rather have the vault locked when not in use. I'm sure there are people out there like me who would not mind typing their password every time it's needed. It's like having a door that locks automatically behind you, instead of having to stop, turn around, and stick your key in the door to lock it, which is not very convenient.

I hope this is a high priority on your list.

Sincerely,
    Marcus

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mag748: You can always change your auto-lock settings, and/or lock it manually at any time using the mouse or keyboard (Windows Shift L). Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.