Best way to fill in Authentication popup.

Options
DoctorBrown
DoctorBrown
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I know there have been many thread about Windows Authentication popups. I wonder if I'm using it wrong or not because it is a PITA compared to earlier versions. Here's what I have to go through to connect with my network devices and some other popup logins:

1. In FF Browser, select 1P icon, search for item via login name. (Navigating by Tags isn't available in 1P Mini so the alternative would be to scroll through 'All Items'). I find my device and click on it.
  2. 1P Mini closes and browser pops up the Authentication Required window.
  3. Click on the desktop (Ctrl-Alt-\ isn't active because the Authentication Required window has grabbed focus). Now Ctrl-Alt-\ works.
  4. Search AGAIN for item via login name. Right-click item, select username > Authentication Required. (Fills in Username. Then I hit tab to move focus to password field
  5. Click on desktop AGAIN. (Same condition as before) and hit Ctrl-Alt-\
  6. Search AGAIN for item via login name. Right-click item, select password > Authentication Required (Fills in Password)
  7. Click OK in Authentication Required windows.

What am I missing? If not, then when the heck is this going to get better?

Why can't I navigate via folders (or Tags, as the case is now) in 1P Mini? Why isn't 1P mini smarter about bringing me back where I was so I don't have to search again and again ( or something, anything)? Why does it have to close each time?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7 Pro x64
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @DoctorBrown! These windows are kind of the bane of my existence for many of the reasons you mention. Of the issues you detail one thing that should work better than you describe is that 1Password mini should remember the item you previously used – it should be right at the bottom of your list when you open mini again. Is that not the case? I know most folks look at the top, not the bottom, but I understand we had to compromise on using the bottom instead for the moment. I'll check with the dev team to be sure on that, though. I kinda feel we should have it at the top, if we can. Assuming that's working properly and you were looking in the wrong place, the most I can say about the rest is that it's something we do plan to implement in the future. Type in Window isn't auto-type and we definitely want to see it better take on auto-type's prior role. I can't say when that will happen, but we're aware mini needs some love and have plans to make some significant improvements.

Now, all of that said, 1Password X can fill basic auth in your browser, if that accounts for the bulk of these types of windows you need to fill. I only learned this a few months back and it was basically life-changing at the time. I've since been blessed to retire the one account where I needed to use basic auth frequently, but I remember the joy I felt so I'd definitely recommend giving it a try if these are a large part of your workflow. If you decide to try it out, let me know how it works for you. :chuffed:

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

I agree, at the top would be better, if possible. All I noticed is the window looks like the top part of my full list of items... Nope, it is the full list of my login items.

If 1Password X can do this, I'll give it a try. Can 1P-X co-exist with 1P - 7? These types of windows aren't a major part of my work, but it's darn annoying when I need to do it. I eagerly await an improvement...

• It totally can @DoctorBrown, but it doesn't play nice with the standard extension, so if you'd like to use it at all, I'd suggest making a full switch in your browser, but you can keep the desktop around no problem. In fact, that's my typical config these days. I prefer how 1Password X fills, but still prefer a desktop app for things like organizing and Documents, so I'd likely keep my desktop app even if I didn't need it to test stuff for y'all. One thing that can trip new users of 1Password X when you keep the desktop app, though, is they don't share a lock state. 1Password X is its own thing designed to work without 1Password 7, so it unlocks separately. We're hoping that's a temporary situation, but for the moment it's something to keep in mind. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.