Question 1Password Pro vs Standard on the iPhone or iPad

ahancock
ahancock
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
I own 1Password Pro, but clients ask me (and I couldn't readily tell)

In the iTunes store, why buy 1Password Pro vs 1Password

thanks

Comments

• rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    ahancock wrote:
    I own 1Password Pro, but clients ask me (and I couldn't readily tell)

In the iTunes store, why buy 1Password Pro vs 1Password

thanks

Hi ahancock,

1Password Pro is designed for both iPhone and iPad and will run on both with only one purchase, while 1Password is designed only for the iPhone. There is also 1Password for iPad, which only runs on the iPad.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry for the confusion.
  • ahancock
    ahancock
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I see.

I remembered reading about feature differences initially, but couldn't see those now.

Thank you for the clarification!
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    You're quite welcome! To add to what Rob said, if a user owns more than 1 "iDevice", such as an iPhone and an iPad, then 1Password Pro is the better choice because you buy the one app, but you can use it with both devices (and an iPod Touch, too, if you have all 3 of them). According to Apple, you can install the apps on up to 5 devices. I hope that helps clear things up a bit more. Let us know if we can help with anything else.
  • franko6161
    edited December 1969
    macpug wrote:
    You're quite welcome! To add to what Rob said, if a user owns more than 1 "iDevice", such as an iPhone and an iPad, then 1Password Pro is the better choice because you buy the one app, but you can use it with both devices (and an iPod Touch, too, if you have all 3 of them). According to Apple, you can install the apps on up to 5 devices. I hope that helps clear things up a bit more. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

This is still confusing. Here's a scenario. I have had for some time 1Password for both the MAC and the iPhone. Now I see there is support for my new iPad. Since I already have 1Password for the iPhone do I just buy the (cheaper) version for iPad? Are there features in the "pro" version (now or in the works) that won't work in the "regular versions". If the latter, then what type of discount are you offering your loyal customers to upgrade?
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    franko6161 wrote:
    Since I already have 1Password for the iPhone do I just buy the (cheaper) version for iPad?

If you have Pro for your phone, you don't need to buy anything. If you have the standard version for your phone, you can buy the standard version for your iPad.
    http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/1password_for_apple_devices.html
  • franko6161
    edited December 1969
    justG wrote:
    If you have Pro for your phone, you don't need to buy anything. If you have the standard version for your phone, you can buy the standard version for your iPad.
    http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/1password_for_apple_devices.html

...and there are no feature differences between the standard and pro versions? The two standard versions are feature equivalent to the one pro version?
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    franko6161 wrote:
    ...and there are no feature differences between the standard and pro versions? The two standard versions are feature equivalent to the one pro version?

When the next update becomes available, the only difference will be that 1Password Pro runs natively on both iPhone and iPad. Updates are pending review by Apple.
  • bondskin
    bondskin
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    new 1Password Pro was released today which allows Dropbox sync.
    (strangely enough it made a full push to dropbox but looks safe so far)

I have already bought the 1Password for iPad and this is working fine.
    Will this version also be updated or do I need to buy the 1Password Pro (hybrid) edition for my iPad ?

thanks
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    We submitted the updated iPad version with Dropbox support for App Store review today.
  • In the case you already own 1Password for iPhone and now bought an iPad on which you want a native iPad-version AND assuming there are no feature differences between 1Password for iPad and 1Password Pro, there are 3 advantages of buying 1Password for iPad instead of 1Password Pro:
    1. Price, of course;
    2. You can install 1Password for iPhone AND 1Password for iPad on 5 different iOS-devices. This way, you can install1Password on 10 iOS-devices. 1Password Pro can only be installed on 5 iOS devices;
    3. The amount of memory needed. As of this date, 1Password Pro needs 8 Mb. of memory (incorporating both the interfaces of iPhone and iPad), while 1Password for iPhone needs 6.2 Mb. and 1Password for iPad needs, strangely, only 3.6 Mb. of memory;

Of course, if you do not want to pay again, you can also choose to install 1Password for iPhone on your iPad and bear the lack of an iPad adapted interface.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Very good points, Marc!

Welcome to the forums. I can say without equivocation that I am already glad you are here. :-)

To clarify your point: there is no difference in features between running 1Password Pro on an iPhone and 1Password for iPhone. Likewise, there is no difference in features between running 1Password Pro on an iPad and 1Password for iPad. The only difference is that 1Password Pro is a universal app that combines the two device-specific editions into one app.

1Password Pro = 1Password for iPhone + 1Password for iPad

Cheers,
  • Thanks for these clarifications.
    My point of view is that you don't have to call it "pro" an universal app.
    "Pro" means more features and, apparently, this is not the case here.
    Regards
  • Hey arnaud,

You make an interesting point. Thanks for posting your opinion.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    arnaud wrote:

Thanks for these clarifications.
    My point of view is that you don't have to call it "pro" an universal app.
    "Pro" means more features and, apparently, this is not the case here.
    Regards

Originally the Pro version was going to fork from the regular version and have a bunch more features. However, it never really materialized that way. ;)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It's been a long journey, and we haven't even arrived yet. :-)

We've got some fun stuff planned for iOS.
  • arnaud
    edited September 2011
    In short, you mean it's better to buy the "pro" version in anticipation of its future features?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2011
    It's better to buy the Pro version because it is a universal app. I always encourage folks to make their decisions based on shipping products rather than promises. We don't really pre-announce features because anything could change between now and whatever point in the future that may be. If 1Password suits your needs, we'd love to provide support for you. If not, maybe it will someday when we improve it more. :-)

If there is anything in particular you are looking for from the app, please let me know. I'd be happy to pass it along to the developers!
  • Narius
    Narius
    Community Member
    I tend to agree on the point about terminology. Your explanation pages on the app store aren't clear as the the difference between pro and standard. Perhaps 'universal' is a better word?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    "Universal" is a great term! It is actually Apple's "technical" term, and all universal apps are indicated as such in the App Store regardless of anything in the developer's description. Just look for the + sign. :-D
This discussion has been closed.