How to use mac password on windows (instead of master password)

Options

I tried installing 1pw on win10 but it used the master password from the family account. I use a different password on my mac (was setup prior to subscription) I would like to use that same pw to unlock win version & not the account master. I uninstalled on windows so if you can give me the steps to use my personal pw and not the master to reinstall that would be great.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:use mac password on windows

Comments

• Hey, @phideaux! Do you have a Primary vault on your Mac, by chance? You'd see it in your sidebar when you expand it by clicking the icon at the top left in 1Password 7 for Mac. I ask because Windows doesn't support a local app password specifically, but if you have a Primary vault in addition to your family account, it would just be a question of what order you add vaults in. If you don't have a Primary vault, there are still some options to unlock differently using Windows Hello. You will still need your Master Password when you first open 1Password after booting up your PC, but you can minimize how often you need to use it with Windows Hello and I'd be happy to walk you through that, if you'd like. Let me know about that Primary vault and I'll give you a rundown of options. :+1:

• phideaux
    phideaux
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have 3 vaults on my Mac. Primary (create when 1st installed years ago) synched to Dropbox + a Shared & private vault created when I switched to a family subscription last year.

• Thanks @phideaux! So that Primary vault is why your Mac is using a different Master Password. If you ever remove that vault your Mac will use your account password, just like your PC was. In general, I try to encourage folks to use their account Master Password to unlock their apps. For one, it is 1Password and not 2Password :wink: but also because it's SO IMPORTANT to remember your account Master Password. You'll need it to manage billing, add new devices, add or remove 2FA and many other account management activities. We humans are creatures of habit. We remember what we use, so if you're willing I definitely encourage you to use your account Master Password.

Now, if you're set on using the other password, you'll want to reset your Windows app, open it, select Dropbox on the Welcome screen and add that Primary vault to your app first. Once you've done that, choose Accounts > Sign in to another account and ... you probably guessed it ... sign in to your account. This way, your Primary vault's Master Password will control the app unless and until you remove it. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.