1Password wants to connect to external IP's

Hello,

I'm using 1password, but I'm a little bit concerned about it, because it tries to connect to external IP's like 74.125.79.121 with a strange domainname like http://ey-in-f121.1e100.net/

Maybe it's just an update process, but I don't really trust it, because of the strange hostname, and because my firewall pops up everytime. The firewall also sends me warnings about application changes.

So... how can I be sure my passworddata is really safe? I don't exactly know what 1password is doing every time it wants to connect to external servers! :-(

Kind regards,
Richard

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Richard. That is a Google server. We use Google App Engine for updates.

From Google's own support article on the topic:

1e100.net is a Google-owned domain name used to identify the servers in our network.

Following standard industry practice, we make sure each IP address has a corresponding hostname. In October 2009, we started using a single domain name to identify our servers across all Google products, rather than use different product domains such as youtube.com, blogger.com, and google.com. We did this for two reasons: first, to keep things simpler, and second, to proactively improve security by protecting against potential threats such as cross-site scripting attacks.

Most typical Internet users will never see 1e100.net, but we picked a Googley name for it just in case (1e100 is scientific notation for 1 googol).

I hope that helps. ;)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.