1Password 6.8.9 disappears from Safari. How do I get it back?

Been using 1Password many years with Mac OS. Current v 6.8.9. current Mac OS 10.14.4. Current Safari 12.1. A couple of days ago, for no apparent reason, extension no longer available. App is still on computer and runs fine. How do I get extention back in Safari?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 6.8.9 disappears from Safari. How do I get it back?

Comments

• scottnl
    scottnl
    Community Member

Been using 1Password many years with Mac OS. Current v 6.8.9. current Mac OS 10.14.4. Current Safari 12.1. A couple of days ago, for no apparent reason, extension no longer available. App is still on computer and runs fine. How do I get extention back in Safari?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Welcome to the forum, @scottnl! A couple of things about 1Password 6 for Mac and macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). Safari 12 shipped as the default install in Mojave, and although it looks superficially like the same Safari you've always used, under the hood, things are VERY different. Apple completely changed the extension format for Safari 12, from the older-style .safariextz extension we've all been accustomed to using for years, to the new Safari App Extension format. The new SAE format is actually part of the main app, and it has the same version number.

Version 7 is the current version of 1Password for Mac, and it contains the new SAE style of extension for Safari 12. But because version 6.8.9 was retired to legacy status before Mojave shipped, it still has the older-style extension, and it will not be updated to include the new style. For the present, Apple is still allowing users to install the older-style extensions into Safari 12 on both Mojave and older versions of macOS if you've chosen to install Safari 12 there, but we don't know for how much longer that's going to be the case. If you look in Safari's Preferences > Extensions and you don't see the older extension (version 4.7.3.90) that's required by 1Password 6 for Mac, you can download and install it again directly from the Safari Extensions Gallery. But please be aware that at some point Apple plans to entirely shutter the Safari Extensions Gallery, and that will make version 6 (and earlier) of 1Password completely incompatible with the current Safari. So ultimately, the solution will be to move to 1Password 7 for Mac. Hope that helps! :)

• scottnl
    scottnl
    Community Member

Thank you. I was able to restore the extension.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottnl - excellent! Glad i was able to help. :)

• peanut
    peanut
    Community Member

I too had the same problem with Safari and 1Password 6 extension, which appeared with a newly installed HD. Thanks for the invaluable tip @scottni, we are up and running. There is nothing better than 1Password-

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

Glad to hear that Lars was able to help you @peanut :) And thank you for the kind words too!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We have an announcement for further information on the Safari changes and their impact on 1Password 6, so I'll close this discussion:

1Password 6 in Safari

This discussion has been closed.