Different password required for same vault

Options
cyborgsam
cyborgsam
Community Member

I migrated my original vault from Dropbox to 1P when I upgraded from 6 to 7. On my two computers that already had that vault I continue to use the vault's password. In a clean install 1P wants my 1P login password. How can I change the new computer to use the vault's old password? I'm leery of clicking "Change Master Password" because I don't want to change my account's password.

TIA,
Sam

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @cyborgsam.

I'm not a 1Pass team member, so definitely wait for an official response from the team, but if I understood correctly, changing your Master Password is what you have to do.

If you're using a 1Password account and therefore syncing through it, then there's only one password for everything, that is your Master Password.

If you change your Master Password it'll be changed for your account, for your vaults and for everything you've synced with your 1Pass account/membership.

Hopefully I understood correctly. If not, please let us know so we can help you further.

• cyborgsam
    cyborgsam
    Community Member
    Options

Arturo->

The question remains why my old incarnations of 1P use the old vault's password but the new incarnation uses the account password. I'd prefer to use the old vault password and not change my account to it. An extra layer of security.

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting, @cyborgsam.

Do the old incarnations of 1Password sync through your 1Password account, or do they still use Dropbox as sync method?

You can still change the new incarnation's password to be the same as the old one, but they won't be synced if the syncing methods aren't the same (in this case, the old one probably being with Dropbox and the new one, with the 1Password account).

Let me know if this is the case :chuffed:

• cyborgsam
    cyborgsam
    Community Member
    Options

They sync through my new 1P account. The sync is definitely working properly. I modified a Secure Note on my laptop and it shows up on the other old incarnation as well as the new.

Since they are all using the same vault the question remains: why do the old incarnations used the old vault's password while the new uses my account password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cyborgsam - I'm sorry for the confusion. When you initially set up 1Password for Mac (or 1Password for Windows), you need to create a vault or use an existing one (like in Dropbox, or an existing 1password.com account). When you do that for the very first time, the Master Password for that first vault/account you add becomes the Master Password for that instance of the 1Password app, as well. After that, any further vaults you create/sync or 1password.com accounts you add require their own Master Password in order to add them, but only once, as the 1Password for Mac app itself still uses the same Master Password you initially set up. That's how we get to call our app "1Password" instead of "1Password-for-every-vault-and-account-you-have-depending-upon-the-order-in-which-you-added-them." That last bit didn't test-market well and was a lot harder to fit on a business card. ;)

My guess is that you previously had standalone 1Password data, and when you set up your 1password.com account, you didn't remove the older Primary (standalone) vault? Is that possible? That would explain why those devices continue to use the older Master Password for your standalone data, even after you added the newer 1password.com account with (what sounds like) a different Master Password. Correct? But if you acquire a new device on which you've never set up the 1Password app previously, then when you download/install it and sign into your account, it's going to need the Master Password for the account...because there IS no other, pre-existing Master Password. Make sense?

What I'm really worried about here is that if you retained the older Primary (standalone) vault in any of your 1Password applications on any devices, you may have inadvertently been adding new data into that, instead of into your 1password.com account's vault(s). Can you look at ALL your devices and tell me how many vaults you have in each one, and what their names are?

• In 1Password for Mac, click Preferences > Vaults and look there
    • In 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Vaults and you'll get the same screen.

Let me know what you discover on each device.

• cyborgsam
    cyborgsam
    Community Member
    Options

On both Macs that were migrated from Dropbox to 1P Account there was an inactive vault ON MY MAC with the name Primary.

When I deleted this vault the first dialog asked for my master password, which was the old one. A second dialog then asked for my account password and said that would be come my master password. The button said Update Master Password.

So now my three Macs are using the same password, albeit the account password and not the old one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cyborgasm - yep, all of that is expected. Now, if you really want to make your 1password.com account Master Password the same as the now-no-longer-used Master Password from your older standalone setup, you can visit 1password.com in a browser, sign in, and change your Master Password there. You'd need to sign in again with the new (old) Master Password on every other device once you do that, but you could "resurrect" your older Master Password that way, provided it's at least ten characters long.

This discussion has been closed.