Firefox plugin keeps only remembering old (and deleted) keychain

Hi there,

I wanted to connect my (win7) pc to a new keychain for my wife. To start with a clean sheet, I deleted dropbox, 1password and the firefox plugin. After that, I deleted each trace of 1password I could still find on the PC.

After installing dropbox and 1password again, I created a new keychain for my wife. No issues here, syncing with Dropbox works fine.

However, I was suprised on a very negative way when I reinstalled the firefox plugin and wanted to test it with the new keychain. The plugin did not recognize the password of the new account. I tried the password of my old (and unlinked and deleted) keychain and to my surprise it gave me all the data in my old keychain!

I have been trying all night and cannot find a way to remove my old keychain (that should not be on my machine anymore) from the firefox plugin. I have removed and reinstalled over and over but that does not help a bit.

I am also a bit concerned about the safety of my data, as it seems that the firefox plugin stores a mirror of my keychain somewhere (otherwise, the data could not be in it as I completely removed it).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2012
    Welcome to the forums, Montalbano. Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

You will need to remove the SQLite file. Sadly, Firefox doesn't do it automatically when you remove the extension like other browsers do. As stated in our Twitter reply:

1. Open Firefox.
    2. Remove the 1Password extension.
    3. Enter [font=courier new,courier,monospace]about:support[/font] in the address bar and press Return.
    4. Click the "Open Containing Folder" button.
    5. Quit Firefox.
    6. In the Explorer window that opened, go up one level in the file hierarchy.
    7. Move the [font=courier new,courier,monospace]OnePassword.sqlite[/font] to your desktop.

1Password manages the data exchange between itself and the browser extensions through WebSocket. This allows the 1Password background process to communicate with the browser extensions while still respecting the sandboxing rules enforced by modern web browsers. These connections are encrypted and authenticated, so they cannot be used to deliver information to any other processes beyond the extensions and the main 1Password application.

This is not a security issue since your data is completely encrypted and cannot be accessed without your master password.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.