Browser Popup Does Not Display Login Items

Options

Steps to reproduce:

• navigate to a site login page.
  • click 1Password icon in browser tool bar

Expected results:

• browser popup displays logins matching browser page URL (fully or partially)
  • clicking a login item fills the username and password fields on the browser page and closes the popup

Actual results:

• browser popup does NOT display logins even though that page is configured as a login item in the application
  • in the popup, perform a search for the page to display the desired login item
  • clicking on the login item does NOT fill the username and password fields on the browser page and closes the popup

Have I missed a setting to get the expected behavior? or to properly pair the application and browser add-on? (Firefox 66.0.4)

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.74.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Is this isolated to a particular Login item, @alembic? If so, could you double-check that the URL saved for that item is definitely the proper one for the page you're viewing? Depending on where you saved that item from, I've seen sign up pages saved as URLs that actually have different domains from the sign in page. It's also worth checking whether that item is set not to display in your browser or is in a vault excluded from All Vaults, which could prevent it from displaying absent a search..

To make sure it's set to display in your browser, edit the item in question and scroll down close to the bottom in your item details where it says display. Make sure never display in browser isn't checked. Uncheck it if needed, save, and take a peek in mini on that site again.

To make sure the vault is included in All Vaults, choose 1Password > Settings, then click Vaults. Find the vault that item is in and make sure it is checked. Check it, if needed, then take a peek in mini on that site again.

Most of the time, when an item is found using search but isn't automatically suggested, one of the steps above will sort things out, but if it's still giving you trouble, let me know. :+1:

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Kate, thank you for the quick response.

The vault in which the login item resides was already checked. Also, the "never display in browser" checkbox for the login item was unchecked.

Additionally, I have Enpass add-on installed and it works as expected. I also had 1Password add-on alone installed but same result. I'm a bit stumped.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alembic: This is quite strange indeed. Have you tried to re-save this Login item? Does the issue remain? You can use this guide to create a new Login item for this website manually. Let us know how it goes.

++
    Greg

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg, manually saving a new login item for that site works. When I hit the browser tool button, the new login item is displayed, and clicking it will fill in the username/password text boxes.

The original login item was added via the application, transcribed from Enpass. Is there a way to get a dump of login item data to compare the two? Or a quick way to fix all items currently in the application?

In the console output, when I use the new login, I see the last 4 operations are performed; the original item does not invoke these methods:

INF:5536 │ 1Password::api:1692 │ 85499822ms │ firefox: -> showPopup

INF:5536 │ 1Password::api:1692 │ 85502440ms │ firefox: <- collectDocuments.

INF:5536 │ 1Password::api:1692 │ 85502564ms │ firefox: -> collectDocumentResults

INF:5536 │ 1Password::api:1692 │ 85502649ms │ firefox: <- executeFillScript.

INF:5536 │ 1Password::api:1692 │ 85502700ms │ firefox: -> fillItemResults

I

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

I found the export function and examined the two login items:

uuid=7jjtkib6u7jeqipgvzx4jkanli
    title=Github.QHR
    category=001
    ainfo=qhr-jo
    scope=Default
    autoSubmit=Default
    username=qhr-jo
    password=xxxxxxx
    section=Related Items

uuid=a5mgdpjgmsmxsr2tjtisyolj7m
    title=GitHub2
    category=001
    ainfo=qhr-jo
    scope=Default
    autoSubmit=Default
    website=https://github.com/login
    login=xxxxxxx
    password=xxxxxx

Notice the website setting is missing in the first.

Here are screen shots of the 1st and 2nd login items where I see a difference:

So it appears that with the 1st login item created in the application, I entered the URL in the wrong textbox?

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I was entering the URL in the website textbox, not the website address textbox (smacks head). :blush:

• Haha. Don't worry, @alembic, I could see myself making that mistake as well when I first started using 1Password. Have you already transcribed everything over from Enpass or do you still have some items that need to make the trip? While we don't have an importer for Enpass, we do have a wonderful forum user here, MrC, who has built set of tools to convert exports from various other password managers into a format 1Password can import and Enpass is one he supports. If you still have some items to import, you might take a look at his tool and see if that might make life easier overall for you:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101693/moving-to-1password-from-another-password-manager#latest

If you haven't made any changes to your data since coming to 1Password, you could even clear out your vault and start from scratch with a full import to correct issues with the website field and avoid having to edit each individually. Of course, the best course is whatever works for you, but I thought I'd mention it in case it might help. :chuffed:

• alembic
    alembic
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Kate. I only had a few dozen entries in Enpass for the office so I just manually edited them. But I will keep those options in mind if I ever have to migrate a larger set of records.

In a login item, may I suggest a rename of the textboxes to "website name" and "website URL" to avoid the confusion. And place "website URL" above the other so the first text box made active in that section is for setting the URL, not the name of the site. Or just remove the current "website" textbox altogether. It seems redundant to the actual name of the login item.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry for the confusion. However, without the "website" header, the purpose (which is pretty crucial for actually using it) will be less clear to all 1Password users. And many people find it useful to customize it themselves, to differentiate between different URLs -- for example, I've got some like "account settings" and "balance" URLs saved for my bank, so that I don't have to memorize what each individual URL is for and read them. But we'll discuss ways we can tweak the design to make it easier to distinguish visually. Thank you. :)

This discussion has been closed.