Extension crash

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome extension broken after update to 7.3.

Comments

• xavieri_nz
    xavieri_nz
    Community Member
    Options

I also the same issue, Chrome extension keeps crashing. A reboot has not helped, I have intstalled the latest extension no improvement.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xavieri_nz: Can you clarify? What do you mean "crashing"? What steps are you taking and what is the symptom you're seeing. Let me know the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you have as well. Thanks in advance! :)

• xavieri_nz
    xavieri_nz
    Community Member
    Options

macOS 10.13.6

1Password 7
    Version 7.3 (70300020)
    1Password Store

Browser = Chrome 75.0.3770.80

Extension = 4.7.4.90

Issue

When I click the 1Password extension button in Chrome

1) A crash message is generated to 1password (not apple)
    2) I need to reenter my master password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xavieri_nz: Thanks for clarifying. Did you send the crash report using the same email address you registered with here in the forum? That may help us track it down.

• xavieri_nz
    xavieri_nz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yes I did use the same email address, it has also generated an apple crash report which I can send to you if you want.
    Can you provide a way to roll back the update?, I really need a functioning app the fix is taking too long.
    I am quite happy with the previous version.

• xavieri_nz
    xavieri_nz
    Community Member
    Options

Very unhappy with how long this has taken, I want the ability to revert the previous stable version!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xavieri_nz: You can download any previous version of 1Password from here.

• xavieri_nz
    xavieri_nz
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana The problem persists for me, after reinstalling chrome extension and re-starting browser.
    This has has been occurring for nearly 3 weeks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xavieri_nz: I'm sorry to hear that. I still haven't seen a crash report from you, but I'm sure we can get you sorted. That's certainly not normal, as it's been working for others since the update. Please do the following:

1. Remove the 1Password extension from all browsers (except Safari, as that is part of the app)
    2. Quit all browsers after completing any updates
    3. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q
    4. Drag 1Password to the Trash
    5. Complete any OS updates (what you listed earlier was out of date, though that may have been a typo)
    6. Restart your Mac
    7. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    8. Install a fresh copy of the extension in any browsers (not necessary for Safari; just needs to be enabled): https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

If you're still having trouble, please generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening on your machine:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#TTI-63134-395]

If you’re reading this and you are not xavieri_nz, this Support ID is for xavieri_nz only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Be sure to include the details of the steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening as you expect. Thanks in advance!

ref: TTI-63134-395

• xavieri_nz
    xavieri_nz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I am generating 4-5 crash reports per day.
    I did follow your steps, what I did notice is that I could not remove 1Password to the trash at step 4, even after Force normal quit and Force quit and multiple restarts.
    The processes for 1password were still running, I had to manually kill them before I could complete step 4.

However even after following these steps the problem remains, it is also not limited to Chrome, Firefox and Safari are also affected.
    I had sent you the diagnostics email.

Regards

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! We'll continue the conversion via email.

• matzebatze
    matzebatze
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, the last few days, the Chrome extension crashes frequently when I'm pressing the cmd + # shortcut. That wouldn't be half as annoying if I wouldn't have to restart Chrome entirely and sometimes also 1Password mini, to reconnect them (also after installing the 1P updates from App Store).
    Is this a known bug oder something I can fix anyhow?

Thanks!
    Matthias

1Password Version: 7.3.1 Mac App Store
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
    Sync Type: 1Password Teams

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@matzebatze - there is no shortcut for cmd + #, unless you set it that way yourself. The default keyboard shortcut to fill Login items is ⌘\ (cmd + backslash). However, if you're using Chrome, there can sometimes be an issue of Chrome updating automatically in the background which will result in the bundle ID being different from what the 1Password extension/mini expects to "see." When that happens, 1Password will not connect until at least Chrome (and possibly 1Password) are restarted. It may be best to update both Chrome and 1Password, and then restart your Mac. If the problem persists immediately after doing that, let us know. Hope that helps! :)

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars CMD + # seems to be the default on German systems/keyboards as the backslash isn't easily available within this keyboard layout. Apart from this I have never observed frequent crashes of the Chrome extension and I use it almost every day. The only problem I've run into is when Chrome was updated in the background. But in this case it does not crash but recommends to install the extension again.
    In contrast to @matzebatze I use the current beta version of 1Password (subscription) and not the App Store version.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing this @viswiz! Indeed, when Chrome updates automatically in the background, sometimes restarting the browser is necessary. But from the next version of 1Password 7 stable this should not be necessary either anymore :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@viswiz - ah, yes -- I should have remembered that. I don't use a German keyboard, but I was aware of that at one point, and I should've remembered. As ag_ana said, this should be fixed in the upcoming update. For now, if this happens, restart both apps and that should do the trick. :)

• xavieri_nz
    xavieri_nz
    Community Member
    Options

Hey the issue is resolved with this version
    1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2.BETA-0 (70302000)
    1Password Beta

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that all is well for you now, but we're here if you need us. :)

• keith58924
    keith58924
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same issue in 7.3.1. The Chrome extension crashes every time I try to fill a password. Restarting the app doesn't work since it just crashes again. Please fix!!

• keith58924
    keith58924
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, I'm seeing the same issue with persistent crashing of the Chrome extension (v 4.7.5.90). Please fix!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @keith58924

I'm sorry for the trouble. Does this happen when clicking on the extension too, or is the problem limited to the keyboard shortcut?

Ben

• keith58924
    keith58924
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure, I always use the keyboard shortcut. I'll let you know if I'm able to reproduce by clicking the extension icon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Definitely let us know. While it's hard to say if it's the same thing, we've got a fix for a similar issue coming, probably in the next beta. Would you be willing to try that once it's available to see if that helps?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@keith58924: What version of 1Password for Mac are you using, and what are the specific symptoms?

• keith58924
    keith58924
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version 7.3.1 (70301008). The symptom is the extension crashing immediately upon hitting Command-\ when a form field is selected. The crash doesn't happen every time; I don't know exactly how to reproduce it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@keith58924: It's hard to say without more details if that's the same issue. Would you be willing to try the beta when it's released?

• keith58924
    keith58924
    Community Member
    Options

If it's still crashing, yes. It hasn't happened yet since I restarted my computer.

• keith58924
    keith58924
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Crash happened again just now. I sent in a crash report.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @keith58924. Were you able to determine if crashes happen when accessing 1Password by clicking on the icon, rather than using the keyboard shortcut?

Ben

• keith58924
    keith58924
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't reproduced a crash with the icon, but I'm also not bothering to restart my computer every time it crashes.

This discussion has been closed.