1password is damaged and can't be opened

Hello,

I've been using 1Password on my Mac, iPad and iPhone for awhile now, no problems. On my Mac, I believe something got corrupted. I'm getting a complaint that the "1Password.app" is damaged and can't be opened. Delete "1Password.app" and download it again from the App Store. The icon for this dialogue is a the AppStore icon, not 1Password. I've deleted it and downloaded it again a couple of times — same error.

Any suggestions as to what to do next, besides "downloading it again", again?

Julian Bleecker

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, bleeckerj! Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

We've seen this happen in the past with the version of 1Password available from our website. The solution has always been to download a fresh copy of the app. I've never seen this happen with the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, though. I noticed that you didn't post in the "1Password from the Mac App Store" forum, but I'm guessing that was just an accident and that you have actually purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store. Can you just confirm that for me quickly?

Do you have any applications installed that would be modifying app bundles? Some examples are CleanMyMac, MacKeeper, Monolingual, and XSlimmer. However, there are others. They generally try to strip out "unused" parts of an app bundle like languages or architectures. If that is the case, you will need to make sure they are not deleting parts of the 1Password app bundle. You may need to uninstall the offending app if it doesn't not provide a mechanism to whitelist 1Password.app.

Please let me know what you uncover. I'm looking forward to resolving this for you.
  • bleeckerj
    bleeckerj
    Community Member
    Hi Khad,

Yes I got it from the App Store. I don't have any of the applications you mention — the ones that might modify app bundles. I've tried again to install it from the App Store but that doesn't work.

My browser extensions continue to work though.

Still at a loss.

Julian
  • bleeckerj
    bleeckerj
    Community Member
    I should add — there appears to be a 1Password in my ~/Applications. I've never seen it there before. That one starts, but then asks me to locate my keychain data file (or start fresh.) It's version 3.8.13.

Julian
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It sounds like you downloaded the trial version of 1Password from our website sometime in late 2011 and never removed it.

You should only have one copy of 1Password installed, so go ahead and remove both copies of 1Password that you see in your Applications folder. Then download the current version one last time from the Mac App Store. That should resolve the issue for you.

If you're still having trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report? Instructions for generating the report can be found here:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/troubleshooting/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you

Then attach the entire file to an email to support AT agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • bleeckerj
    bleeckerj
    Community Member
    Hi. Well — same problem. And the application doesn't start up enough to get a menu bar in order to do the Diagnostic Report. All I get is the dialogue I shared in the attachment to the initial posting above. I even tried restoring the application from Time Machine. Same result.

If I start the 1password instance that's in my ~/Applications, it at least starts — but it has none of my data. ((I know you suggested I delete it, but it's working at least. And when I delete it, the canonical version in /Applications/ still doesn't work.

Can you tell me where the Keychain file lives? Maybe that is corrupted or something. I can't find it anywhere under Application Support. I wonder if that file is corrupted — but then, I don't know why I'm still able to access my 1password data through the browser extensions. (Not that I understand the application layout at all, of course.)

Julian
  • bleeckerj
    bleeckerj
    Community Member
    I also just tried deleting the preferences file ws.agile.1Password.plist and the 1Password folder in Application Support. I reinstalled via the App Store — same problem. The app simply doesn't start — I just get a complaint in a modal dialog with the AppStore's icon telling me to download again.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry that you are still having trouble, Julian. It is important to only have a single copy of 1Password located in your [font=courier new,courier,monospace]/Applications[/font] folder (not in [font=courier new,courier,monospace]~/Applications[/font]). Again, your data is stored separately so it will not be harmed by this. Please remove both copies of 1Password from your Mac and then install the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store.

If that doesn't work, you can remove it and install the version of 1Password fro our website in your [font=courier new,courier,monospace]/Applications[/font] folder.

You don't need to run 1Password to generate a Diagnostics Report. You can use the tool I linked to above which is a separate download and intended/required for use with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Here is the link once more for your convenience:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/troubleshooting/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you

If you're still having trouble, let's try generating the report a different way. Using your browser, please download a small standalone tool from our site to run a network copy of the Diagnostics Report procedure:

http://i.agilebits.com/ms/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use the Finder (or Spotlight) to locate 1Password_diagnostics in your browser’s download folder. If the located file name ends with “.zip”, the browser has not already expanded the downloaded archive so please double-click it to force it to be expanded.

The expanded download result you are looking for will be a Unix Executable File (as reported in the Finder’s “Kind” column when in list view) named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking that file will cause a Terminal window to appear, automatically downloading the latest (possibly unreleased) copy of the 1Password Diagnostics Report tool and will run it for you.

Hopefully it will show you instructions at the end on how to save the resulting Diagnostics Report from your web browser so that it can be attached to an email message to us.

Any output seen in the Terminal window may help to determine additional problems with permissions on your system that could impact 1Password. Please copy the entire output (easy way: Command-A, followed by Command-C) and paste it into your email for us to look at:

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]support @ agilebits.com[/font]

I'm looking forward to receiving your Diagnostics Report so we can get this resolved for you.

Thanks!
  • bleeckerj
    bleeckerj
    Community Member
    Thanks Khad — sorry, I didn't read your previous remarks thoroughly enough.

I downloaded the app from your site and now it starts.

Woo Hoo!

It wants me to either start a new data file, or locate an existing one.

So, — I guess it can't seem to find the Keychain/data file.

I could re-enter everything, but I'm wondering where it *would be? Perhaps I can restore it from my Time Machine backup if I can find where it would live.

Thanks!

Julian
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2012
    Try restoring from a backup within 1Password. Select File > Restore from the menu bar in 1Password. Your most recent backup will be listed at the top and automatically highlighted. Click the "Restore Backup" button.

if no backups are listed, check the default location for your data file.

The default location of your data file in 1Password 3.8 (from the AgileBits website) is:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

The default location of your data file in 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store) is:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

If you're still having trouble, please email us the Diagnostics Report so we can help more quickly. :)
  • bleeckerj
    bleeckerj
    Community Member
    edited June 2012
    Okay — the Diagnostics Report should be on its way.

Parenthetically, the version (3.xx) I downloaded from the website works, and now it wants my license. But — I purchased via the App Store so I'm not sure what that would be in this context, and retrieving a "lost license" doesn't seem to work — I've tried all my email addresses, but none are associated with any license.

I tried again to get the App Store version installed and running — but it still fails.

Julian
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for sending the Diagnostics Report. I don't see it in our inbox yet but I was looking for the email address you used to sign up with this forum. If you sent it from a different email address, please feel free to PM it to me so I can expedite it. Otherwise, we typically reply to all support inquiries within 24 hours, so you should get an email reply soon if you haven't received one already.

If you did not purchase 1Password from the AgileBits store (but rather the Mac App Store) you will not have a license key. As with all Mac App Store purchases, the license is tied to your Apple ID. We'll get it all sorted out via email (and generate a 1Password 3.8 license key if necessary to get you up and running.)

Thanks for your patience with this. This is the first time we've heard of such a thing happening, so we are all eager to find the cause and — more importantly — the solution.
  • bleeckerj
    bleeckerj
    Community Member
    Hi Khad,

Okay — I accidentally sent it from another email address. I have resent it from the address I used for the forum with the subject: "Attention: Khad Young // Regarding: 1password is damaged and can't be opened // 1Password Troubleshooting.html"

Hope this helps!

Julian Bleecker
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It looks like Mike has replied to your email. I'm going to close this thread for now so we don't duplicate our efforts while we work with you via email to completely resolve everything. :)
This discussion has been closed.