Storing License information in 1PW folder

mia
mia
Community Member

Now that you guys are securing the 1PW folder in Program Files, has there been any updates for storing license files inside that folder instead of credentials inside Windows? Every so often I have to re-add my license because it disappears. This is not 1PW's fault and I can't seem to figure out why it happens, but it's seemingly random.

I was told in a previous thread it was planned for the license to be kept in the folder in the future. Any progress?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mia,

Thank you for reaching out!

First of all, could you please tell me what previous conversation you are referring to?

I do not have any new information about your question. We are busy with other higher-priority features at the moment, so we do not have immediate plans to change the way we handle license credentials on Windows. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

I am sorry @Greg
    I swear I thought someone mentioned but I can't seem to find the post (perhaps they deleted it?). I could have sworn someone said they were working on the future being able to save licenses in the folder

• Could you maybe be referencing automatically saving your 1Password license file as an attachment to a Software License item, @mia? I don't know of any particular ETA on that, but it is something we were considering and likely got a mention somewhere. This isn't related to where your license is stored when you've already added it – so far as I'm aware there are no plans to move away from Windows' credential manager for that – but more something meant to make it easier setting up 1Password across multiple PCs since your downloaded license file is only stored locally right now unless you personally take steps to put it in your cloud storage or in 1Password itself.

Obviously, this is of limited help with your issue, but might explain what you remember. For what it might be worth, it seems you're not alone in struggles with credential manager. None of my cursory Googling yielded what looked like a solution that will work for everyone, but it might be worth a deeper dive yourself, if you're up for it, as this doesn't seem at all limited to 1Password license files. Most issues seemed to have their roots with third-party software that was leading to credential manager getting cleaned out, so that might be a worthy avenue of investigation as well. Finally, I really would recommend dropping Microsoft Support a line. They've been able to help a number of my customers having more Windows-y issues in the past and I do think asking their advice is at least worth a go. Might be they're aware off some causes of these issues already and would be able to help out better than we can. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.