I am trying to move to a family account from a single license 1Password 6

Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello,
I am trying to move to a family account from a single license 1Password 6. I entered my visa card info. I am stuck because the site asks me to enter a Master Pass word in ten digits. You recommended through email exchanges with your support service Question about 1Password), to use my previous Master password that uses 8 digits (license 2017). What should i do? I might not be able to get through to my datas and open my current 1Password..

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:8 digits pass word versus 10 digits

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @172,

If you're running macOS 10.13 or higher, so either High Sierra or Mojave I would recommend downloading and installing 1Password 7. The reason for the suggestion is the first thing 1Password 7 will do is copy everything from 1Password 6 as it is, you'll simply be presented with a standard unlock prompt which will be the same Master Password as you use with 1Password 6. When you connect your new 1Password account to 1Password 7 it will guide you through migrating everything into the 1Password account vaults and ensure you're only using the 1Password account. It's taken a couple of iterations but we think we've got the migration running smoothly now with 1Password 7.3. At the end 1Password 7 would have all of your 1Password 6 data and it will use the Master Password for your 1Password account, the one we're recommending is at least 10 characters long. As access to the latest version of 1Password is part of the 1Password account you will be entitled to run 1Password 7 anyway so we may as well take advantage of its refined ability to migrate data.

If that all made sense and you want to proceed you can find 1Password 7 on our "Downloads - 1Password" page.

Community Member

Thank you very much for your answer. I wished i was running macOS 10.13 but i am running 10.12.6 and 10.11.6...so the problem remains entirely since i am being asked to enter a 10 digits Master Password when my actual Password is 8 digits long..

• @172

In that case you would need to choose a new Master Password that is at least 10 characters long. This guide may help:

How to choose a good Master Password

For what it's worth We can't recommend using an older version. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. We're not financial advisors, and I understand these devices come at a great cost, but the cost of not staying up to date and having a security breach as a result is likely to be much greater. We make these recommendations because we do care, and we don't want anyone to end up in that kind of a situation. If your devices aren't capable of running the latest OS it may be time to consider newer devices.

Ben

Community Member

The person i spoke on the support on line had given me hope to remain on One Password6 and create a family account; he told me to sign in my current Master Password but it seems he did not know that mine was a 8 digits formula. Thank you for your recommendations Ben.

Community Member

In your 1P 3-6 legacy informations (Topics) Brenty writes : "While you're entitled to use the version of 1Password you purchased a license for on all of your compatible devices indefinitely"... Does it mean that i can install my current paid license on my wife's Mac? That would be a temporary solution until i decide to invest into a new equipment, one or two PC that would accept the new OS who would enable me to migrate to 1P7 - JM

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @172,

If you're thinking about a 1Password Families account then you would probably want to have your wife be part of that account as well, the Families account allows for five family members right from the start. Now from the conversation so far I can appreciate the Mac probably isn't running the latest and greatest but if could tell us what version of macOS it has we can make some recommendations.

Our 1Password accounts do work with 1Password 6, the main reason I was suggesting 1Password 7 was because of the improvements we'd made to the migration process that were only in 1Password 7.3. If you're going to make the move then we do want to try and make it as seamless as possible.

Community Member

Hello,
    Thank you for your message, i appreciate.
    Well my Mac is running 10.12.6 and my I phone is running 12.3.1
    My wife's Mac is running 10.11.6 and her I phone is running 10.3.3
    What do you think?

In order to move to a family account that keeps 1P6, for the time being, if you think it's possible, i have to change my Master password first* on my current license account: 1) on my PC and 2nd on my phone is that right? On both units?
    *In order to have a 10 digits password before signing in to the 1 password family account

Best regards,

JMD

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @172,

So I was half anticipating something a bit older but that's good. The only one that could be a bit problematic is the older iPhone running iOS 10. If your wife hasn't downloaded 1Password for iOS in the past there will be hoops to jump through as the current version of 1Password for iOS requires iOS 12.2 and for the very first downloads older iOS device will just refuse.

For you I would recommend the following.

1. On your Mac follow the steps laid out on our support page Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account. This will mean selecting a new, longer Master Password during the account creation. As everything will be happening in 1Password 6 you will need to instruct 1Password 7 to copy your data over and to delete the standalone vaults once you're done. Don't worry 1Password 6 creates a final backup before doing so so there is always a pre-account recovery point. With the removal of the Primary vault this copy of 1Password will use the longer 1Password account Master Password to unlock going forward.
    2. The same page has steps on how to set up additional devices. My own personal preference differs a little here. I would suggest following the steps for starting over, detailed on our support page "How to erase your 1Password data and start over" ( How to reset your 1Password data and start over ). As long as we can assume the Mac in step 1 was the canonical source of your data everything is now in the 1Password account and if you start over on your other devices and sign into the account then you know the only source of data is that 1Password account. What we want to avoid is the original standalone vault hanging around and running the risk of data fragmentation as undoing that tends to be a pain to the poor user.

For your wife, has she used 1Password before? your previous question suggests maybe she hasn't or maybe I just misinterpreted it. If she hasn't used 1Password before then you can have her join the account, download 1Password 6 and sign in. If she has used 1Password before then as she was also using 1Password 6 the above steps would also work for her.

Does that help at all?

Community Member

Hello,
    Thank you very much, You made it very clear to me. I will migrate sooner or later to a 1 Password account. It should work out. Regards

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you are welcome @172!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.