Can't get 1password Chrome extension to talk to my Dropbox vault

kabsf
kabsf
Community Member

Ok, I had the standalone version of 1Password for a long time. I finally upgraded to 1Password 7 subscription because I have multiple platforms (Mac and Android) and wanted full functionality on my phone. After some poking around I got it working on my phone and on my desktop computer with my Dropbox vault I have been using for years. I'm still using an old version of 1password on my Mac laptop ...... which I hesitate to upgrade as you'll see why in a moment.

I didn't have the Chrome extension installed on my new desktop computer. Which has been a big inconvenience. So I finally put aside some time to get it working ... and failed miserably. Sure I can log into the Cloud vault, which is useless to me because it has no data, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to connect with my Dropbox vault. Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kabsf: 1Password X can only work with a 1Password membership account, so I wonder if you're using that. Which extension version did you install? It would also be helpful to know the other information you omitted: OS and 1Password versions, for example. That will allow me to give you the most accurate answer. Thanks in advance! :)

• kabsf
    kabsf
    Community Member

The 1password version is 7 as mentioned. In the MacOs menu bar the version is 7.3.2. The MacOS is Mojave, 10.14.5.
    What version should I use for my Chrome extension? Let me know so I can install the right one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kabsf: Thanks! "1Password version 7" was released over a year ago and has had dozens (if not hundreds) of updates since then, so it is really helpful to know the specific version you are using -- 7.3.2. You're okay there, but I'd encourage you to update macOS, as you'll be missing out on some important security and general improvements otherwise.

Getting back to the extension, 1Password X only works with 1Password memberships, but you can use the 1Password desktop extension with the Mac app:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

You can install it from here:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

But maybe you already have it installed and there's something else going on. It's hard to say without knowing the version you have already. Let me know how it goes. :)

• kabsf
    kabsf
    Community Member

Thanks, are you saying that it is not possible to use a 1Password Chrome extension with a Dropbox vault? I really hope not. I have it installed in the desktop menu, but of course that doesn't save the new logins ... the scraps of paper with new passwords jotted down are accumulating ... the reason I bought 1 Password in the first place.

I wouldn't think upgrading my MacOs helps this situation, but thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kabsf:

The 1Password browser extension can certainly work with Dropbox data, as long as you are not using 1Password X, as Brenty mentioned (this new extension only works with 1Password accounts).

If you are using the regular extension, this will work, because the regular extension doesn't do anything here, it just gets the data from the desktop app. Therefore, if your desktop app is using Dropbox data, the extension will also see Dropbox data. Have you installed the correct version of the extension from the link that Brenty shared with you already?

From what you wrote, I think you just downloaded and installed the wrong extension.

This discussion has been closed.