Some within-item keyboard shortcuts don't work (reveal, large type)

I'm using Windows 1Password app, v7.3.684.

Some within-item keyboard shortcuts won't work for me. I have an item selected (it's highlighted in the item list and the item is shown in the dedicated item view area), but the keyboard shortcuts don't do anything. Even when I hover over or click the password, the shortcuts don't work:

• Ctrl+R: Reveal (password)
  • Ctrl+L: Large Type (display of password)

One shortcut that I don't feel I fully understand, but maybe is not working either. I'm confused on what a "selected item detail" means when I'm not editing an item.

• Ctrl+C: Copy the selected item detail to the clipboard

Plenty of other keyboard shortcuts work for me:

• Ctrl+Alt: Reveal all passwords in the item detail
  • Ctrl+D: Toggle Show Vaults
  • Shift+Enter: Move, delete, or change the type of the selected field.
  • Many more...

What can I do to get the Ctrl+R and Ctrl+L keyboard shortcuts working for me? And perhaps someone can explain more about the Ctrl+C shortcut when not editing an item?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10 Version 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• I think your troubles are actually connected to your confusion about a "selected item detail", @tetrabit, as both Ctrl + R and Ctrl + L are actions that require a selection – reveal the selected password (or display it in large type). To select an item detail, you need to tab to that detail. So, select a Login item in your item list, press tab until you see the copy button become visible for the item detail you wish to copy, reveal, or view in large type. Since reveal and large type both require a password field, pick one of those. After you have it selected, give those keyboard shortcuts a try again and they should work, but let me know if you're still having trouble. :+1:

• tetrabit
    tetrabit
    Community Member

@bundtkate, thank you, I think you have gotten to the root cause of my trouble, and you have given me a way to do reveal and large-type via keyboard shortcuts.

To select an item detail, you need to tab to that detail.

I did the following, and it worked:

• I clicked to select an item from the item list pane
    • I pressed my tab key 5 times
    • I did the Ctrl+L keyboard shortcut, and I saw the password in large type.

But holy moly, 5 tab presses is a painful way to go. Is there a better way to select a detail? I've tried many times (before and after your helpful post) to select a detail via the mouse and made no progress on that front.

• Large type is really the only remaining case where I think using your mouse exclusively is best, @tetrabit. When you hover over any given item detail, you'll see Copy with a down arrow next to it. Click the arrow, then click large type and there it is. :+1:

• Nij
    Nij
    Community Member

I've been pointed to this post, as like @tetrabit I was having problems getting the Reveal / Conceal and Large-Type keyboard shortcuts to work in the Windows App. The conversation above answers why the shortcut was not working for me -- and I have since managed to see it work after tabbing to the password field... but I am honestly baffled that you seem to think it is reasonable for a keyboard short-cut to only operate after tabbing the relevant field!!!
    Are you aware that on Windows (and most modern OS), Ctrl+ shortcuts are conventionally operative throughout an application (though sometimes applied context-sensitively, of course). For example, in most apps Ctrl+S combination saves the currently-active document -- you don't have to click-and-tab to the File menu for Ctrl+S to work as Save! For what its worth, Alt+ shortcuts on windows do tend to work slightly differently but let's not get distracted.
    It would be very helpful to escalate this to the development team to ask for these Ctrl+R, Ctrl+L shortcuts to operate 'as long as a vault entry is selected' because the current approach is bizarre.
    As an aside, the older versions of the App used to allow Shift+Ctrl+C to copy the password of the current vault entry; something that is hugely useful... but for some reason it was taken out of the v7 app and has not been returned since. I struggle to understand why!

• tetrabit
    tetrabit
    Community Member

I have a lot of the same thoughts at @Nij. I desire the Reveal and Large-Type shortcuts to do the standard and convenient thing of working even when the password field has not been tabbed to. If I have a login item selected such that it is displaying in the dedicated item view on the right, then of course I want the Reveal and Large-Type shortcuts to show me the only password the item has. Please consider this a feature-request/bug-fix from yet another paying customer.

• While a basic Login item may have a single concealed password field, @Nij, that won't be the case for all of them. We do need a shortcut to selectively reveal only the selected field and that's what Ctrl + R does. For the moment, it sounds like you and @tetrabit both may be best served by Ctrl + Alt in this case as that will reveal all passwords for the selected item. In the case of an item with only one password field, the net result is precisely what you're after – the password for the selected Login item is revealed.

Now, with that said, there are definitely bits with these shortcuts I feel need some improvement. Ctrl + R is a persistent toggle, for example, while Ctrl + Alt only reveals passwords so long as the keys are held down. Selecting a password with tab needs to be doable for selective reveal and for accessibility purposes, but it should be easier to jump between password fields as well. There's plenty of room for improvement here. Our development team is aware of this and it's certainly something we'll keep in mind moving forward.

• tetrabit
    tetrabit
    Community Member

@bundtkate, thank you for the Ctrl+Alt tip and your response in general.

• Nij
    Nij
    Community Member

@bundkate likewise thanks from me. You have explained the core issue, I think (items with more than one password)... but I agree this is an area that needs some work and I am glad to hear the development team are aware. I have several hundred entries in several vaults, but I'm not sure that I have any with more than one password, except perhaps a few OTPs.
    From my perspective, AgileBits have gone though lots of innovation _with the mouse interactions to get to Copy, Reveal etc., but the keyboard shortcuts just got worse and stagnated... honestly for me _Reveal is not that useful... but a keyboard shortcut to reliably copy the password (or let's say the first password on an entry) would be a huge time-saver (it used to be Shift+Ctrl+C as far as I recall :p ;) ).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In environments where the "reveal" keyboard shortcut works without having to select the field (1Password web interface running in the browser, for example), we get complaints from Windows users that they are accidentally revealing passwords. So while I don't personally have a preference, I'm not sure there's any way to please everyone. ;) I am curious though about all the password-reading. Filling (or, where that is not an option, copying) seems much more convenient. Better keyboard shortcuts -- especially for things like quickly copying a password -- are something that is high on our list for when we update 1Password mini to improve it overall. Cheers! :)

• tetrabit
    tetrabit
    Community Member

I am curious though about all the password-reading. Filling (or, where that is not an option, copying) seems much more convenient.

The password reading is usually not followed by using the password; I just want to see the password. When the 1Password browser plugin offers to update the password of an entry, I like to check in the 1Password desktop app that the corresponding item has updated properly. Lots of time when doing password changes through any workflow, I like to take a look at the password. Also, sometimes you just want to look at a password when your spouse adds an item to a shared vault, or you get a watchtower notification, or other scenarios I can't recall right now.

In fact, just today, I saw a watchtower notification for this forum, used the browser plugin to generate a new password, and checked in the desktop app that the item's password updated appropriately. I used all the fill/copy functionality at the appropriate times...and then I wanted to see the new password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I see. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. :)

• ghostsquad
    ghostsquad
    Community Member

I also have been struggling with the keyboard shortcuts in 1password. I'm coming from KeePass, and there's a couple very common workflows.

Ctrl-C - Copies the [default] password of the selected item (without revealing)
    Ctrl-B - Copies the [default] username of the selected item

Ctrl-Q - Does a "autofill" operation of the selected item (even when a different window has focus).

These shortcuts keep me moving. I find myself all too often reverting back to using the mouse in order to copy things from 1password.

• ghostsquad
    ghostsquad
    Community Member

I read this:

Ctrl + Shift + C Copy the username, password, or one-time password of the selected item to the clipboard.

But this is confusing. Which one does it copy?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ghostsquad,

When you press Ctrl + Shift + C on your keyboard while in 1Password 7 for Windows, it opens a little context menu next to your mouse cursor, where you can choose what to copy:

Please give it a try and let us know how it works for you. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.