Chrome 77 - untrusted certificate

Options

Hello all,

Suddenly, 1Password extension for Chrome don't start. I got a "browser connection refused". Logs tells me that Chrome presents an "untrusted certificate". In the 1P settings, I have "refused connection attempts" by "Chrome from unidentified publisher".

Chrome extension is up to date, I've re-installed it but nothing changes. Same problem.

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot.

--
Chouchenn

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• This means that 1Password was unable to verify your browser's code signature, @Chouchenn – essentially, it couldn't prove that Chrome is Chrome – and thus it's refusing to connect to your extension lest it's installed in a malicious browser. I'm not having any trouble with Chrome 77 myself and I'm running the same setup as you, so that means it's probably something specific to your setup. Anti-virus programs can (rather rarely these days) interfere with browser connections so if you've recently installed one or updated existing security software, that could be the cause. Code signature checks also require an internet connection so that's another possibility. Assuming neither of those applies, though, the best first step is probably to reboot. Reason being that sometimes, when Chrome is launched in an unexpected manner – for example, when it's launched by a different process than is normal – this can cause hiccups with those code signature checks. Rebooting and starting Chrome yourself should sort anything like that out. If that doesn't work, check for updates in Chrome – click the 3 dots in the top right of Chrome, then select Help > About Google Chrome. If any updates are available, they'll start downloading and you'll be prompted to restart Chrome. If you don't have any updates available or are still having trouble after updating, let me know and we'll take a closer look. :+1:

• Chouchenn
    Chouchenn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate many thanks for your help.

I've tried to reboot (with Windows, it's an habit :-) ) but same problem. I use Bitdefender as AV and never had any pbm with it. I've checked its configuration but nothing related to 1P.
    Last things that happen on my PC was a Windows Update (KB4516058 / KB4516115).
    Chrome is at the latest official build (Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official build ) (64 bits) ).

Tried also to start Chrome just after reboot while connected to the Internet : same problem.
    Really don't see what has happened.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Chouchenn

• Haha. I totally understand about reboots, @Chouchenn. I swear, it's the first or second thing I do for near any problem. App isn't working? Restart app. Still no? Reboot PC. It's amazing how often I never have to go any further than that. Not sure of the sorcery, but reboots are magic sometimes and you sure as heck won't catch me complaining. :lol:

In your case, though, it sounds like something more is going awry and you've essentially ruled out my usual culprits. As such, probably best to take a look at some logs and see what's what. If you could, go ahead and open Chrome to trigger that refused connection message. After you've done that, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your PC:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

Don't post your diagnostics here (this is public forum and there's likely stuff you'd not want to share with the world there), but do attach it to an e-mail to support+forum@1password.com and drop a link to this thread in the body of the message just in case someone else beats me to it. For bonus points, drop the support ID you receive via autoreply here. That'll help me find it quicker once you've sent it off. One of my teammates or I will take a look and get in touch via e-mail with next steps. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Chouchenn
    Chouchenn
    Community Member
    Options

Done, Madame.

Because I was very eager to fulfill your desires, I sent the first mail as fast as possible and... without the diagnostic and the next one was the good one, sadly, I've got 2 different ticket number :-(
    Here they are !

[#DGJ-81631-159] and
    [#PER-96834-299]

Sorry for that !

Thanks again for your help.

--
    Chouch

• Not to worry, @Chouchenn. You're not alone in your eagerness and we've thus got a bot for that now. Normally, this would have noticed you sent two e-mails and ensured they hooked up, but in this case you replied to a forum notification rather than creating a new e-mail so both ended up eaten. Not at all a huge deal this time – I found them, resurrected the one with the diagnostics, and will be taking a look just as soon as I finish replying to folks here – but in the future, it's always best to create a new e-mail. We do have a bot hooked up to the forum reply e-mail to let you know what's up, but if you don't see that reply they can and will go into the abyss somewhere and I don't want that to happen to you down the road. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.