Locked out of Desktop app, but not 1PX

Options

I haven't used the 1P Windows desktop program in a long time, as I prefer 1PX in Chrome. Sometime after I last used the desktop version, I changed my Master Password. Today, when I tried to open 1P desktop, it would not accept my password. Was there some type of sync failure, or is there something I can do to recover the desktop program? Uninstall/re-install? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Win 10x64
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member
    Options

All's well! I found the answer here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106782/master-password-for-1password-for-windows-7-3-684-stops-being-accepted What would have happened if I had not remembered my previous MP? I also saw that a change in the process in on your agenda; good idea. Is the best approach for now to open the desktop program before changing the MP? Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the difficulty. When you change the Master Password for your account, the app is sent a notification to prompt you to update it there too. But if you dismissed it or it was blocked by some other software, you'd need to update it yourself later. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted, but we're here if you need us. :)

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty. I likely missed any notice sent by 1PX. Just so I understand, when you say that "the app is sent a notification to prompt you to update it there too," do you mean that the prompt will be issued by the Windows desktop program or by the 1PX extension? I hadn't tried to open the desktop program until today. My other question, though, was how could I have updated or opened the desktop program if I had not remembered the previous MP?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just so I understand, when you say that "the app is sent a notification to prompt you to update it there too," do you mean that the prompt will be issued by the Windows desktop program or by the 1PX extension?

@jimmyweg: I was referring to the Windows app. 1Password X is able to interact with the server directly since it's connected to that when running in your web browser. The Windows app needs to receive the notification through the OS and any security/firewall/proxy/VPN software, so there are more opportunities for something to go wrong there. Sorry for the trouble. It's not something we'll be able to solve completely, as there are many factors outside of our control, but we're always tweaking things to work around issues like that where we can.

My other question, though, was how could I have updated or opened the desktop program if I had not remembered the previous MP?

Setting aside the fact that you would have had to have known the original Master Password in order to change it, worst case scenario, you could reset the app and sign in fresh with your current account credentials -- just like setting up 1Password on any device. :)

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, Brenty. So in any event I'm covered. It's probably a matter of terminology that leads me to one more request for clarification, but when you say "reset the app," do you mean re-install the Windows app and just sign in again (with my new password)? The term reset has me confused. Sorry for dragging this out! If it's any comfort, I must say that I'm impressed with the support, which thus far surpasses all of the other password managers I've used and tested!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimmyweg: Thanks for the kind words! It's a good question. I should have included a link for clarity. Sorry! By "reset", I mean clear out the local database so the app will be "first run" again:

How to reset your 1Password data and start over

Then when you open it, you'll see the "welcome" screen as if you've never used it before, and can sign into your account to access your data there. Reinstalling the app has no effect on it's data, just the application itself. Cheers! :)

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks one more time! If I can't open 1P app because I don't have the MP, how can I get to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data? Can I get there from my 1P account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jimmyweg: Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data is an option to reset the Windows app's local data. It is not part of the website.

I think maybe you're thinking of this as a way to "reset" your password if you lock yourself out by literally not knowing it. That is not the case. If you actually forget your Master Password and/or lose your other account credentials, you will not be able to get back into the account, ever (unless you are part of a family/team membership where an admin can do account recovery for you).

What we're talking about here is you knowing all of your current account credentials -- including Master Password -- but the app being "out of sync" with that due to being unreachable, etc. You can still sign into your account on the website or any of the apps in that case, but you just need to get the app on your PC back to a "clean slate" to set it up with your account again. Does that help?

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, Brenty. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Have great weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.