How to change Category?

Options

I imported a CSV file into 1Password but find the "Category" field not set(understandably). However, I cannot find a way to set it. HELP nor this forum were of help. What's the secret?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: Win10 v1903
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cgazsc!

You will need to create one CSV file for each of your categories you want to import. Based on the format of the file, 1Password will know where to import this item :)

• cgazsc
    cgazsc
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the very speedy reply ag_ana, let me make sure I understand. There is NO way to edit an existing vault entry of the "Category" field? That's kind of hard to believe.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cgazsc:

Categories have fixed templates, and each category has a different template from the others. So the category has to be decided in advance (this is also true when you create an item normally inside the 1Password app itself: it's when you create an item that you choose if it is going to be a Login, a Bank Account or a Software License).

• CWGlobal
    CWGlobal
    Community Member
    Options

Looks to me that the only categories that can be imported are Login, Credit Card, Software License and Identity. Yet there are all other types of categories when I drop down the "new" list. I've followed all the directions for separating out different CSV files based on the categories that show in the new list. But now I can't import them into those categories. Would love more flexibility with these categories!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us @CWGlobal! We will keep it in mind going forward.

(And welcome to the forum!)

• PaulL2005
    PaulL2005
    Community Member
    Options

I just moved over from LastPass. So far, I am very happy, most aspects seem to just work better. Thank you. That being said, I am puzzled why we are not able to change categories. I see that this is a feature that has been discussed and requested at least as far back as 2016. It is clear that it can be done since there is a Convert to Login button on Password category items. Of the five bank entries I have, only one was correctly categoriesed as Bank. If I can not corrected misclassification like this, categories become useless for me. Please add changing categories as a feature.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaulL2005, thank you for chipping in!

I agree, there is a room for improvement here and we are looking at ways to improve how Categories work in 1Password. Right now, if you need to sign in to your bank accounts in the browser, it is better to store such items as Logins, not Bank Accounts.

I will share your feedback with our team, but if you have any other questions about 1Password, we are here to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• PaulL2005
    PaulL2005
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Greg. You guys are awesome.

• On behalf of Greg, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.