Updated to 1PW7 from 1PW4, won't fill in password

I'm on Windows 7, Firefox. Just upgraded from 1PW4 standalone to 1PW7 standalone. On a page
I used to hit Cntl-backslash and my credentials would fill in, it's not working in 1PW7. The 1PW icon is
greyed out in browser's top toolbar. Shouldn't this work like it did in 1PW4?

I've uninstalled 1PW browser extension once and that didn't fix.

Thanks!

1Password Version: v7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @safetyman!

What browser is this happening with?

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,

It's Firefox Quantum v69.0.3, but it's not working in Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit) either.
    In Chrome a "Looking for the 1Password helper" tab opens and says "Couldn’t connect to 1Password". However, when I right
    click on the icon in the upper right of Chrome, it says it can read and change data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@safetyman: The "can read and change data" message in Chrome is just a description of one of the permissions the extension needs to function in the browser. If it's not able to connect to the 1Password desktop app ("Looking for the 1Password helper" indicates that), then there's something preventing it from doing so. Do you have "security" software that may be interfering? Also, make sure you've uninstalled 1Password 4 if you're using 1Password 7 now, as they will both be trying to connect to the browser otherwise.

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

@brenty I had MalwareBytes running, but it was also running with 1PW4 working fine. I shut it down and the problem is still happening. I had uninstalled 1PW4 and rebooted, still to no avail. Now the only version installed is the new 1PW7. Nothing is running that wasn't running with 1PW4 working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@safetyman: 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 are completely different apps in completely different locations, so some "security" software may block one but not the other. Similarly, if you'd setup exceptions with that or firewall/proxy/etc. for 1Password 4, that would not apply to 1Password 7. So it's worth looking into. Please restart in Safe Mode with Networking and install a fresh copy of 1Password 7 now that 1Password 4 is gone:

https://1password.com/downloads/

And see if it works there. That can help avoid some interference, both with the install and running it. Let me know how it goes!

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

@brenty Uninstalled 1PW7, no versions showing as loaded... Booted in Safe Mode with Networking and downloaded 1PW7. Installed it, can get to my vault as before... but no browsers are showing as connected. I had removed Firefox before, thinking it might need to be readded, but somehow 1PW7 has saved that setting. I can't install the browser extension at all now.

• When you say you removed Firefox, @safetyman, did you remove it from the list of connected and disconnected browsers or did you remove the extension itself from Firefox? If the former, that's not an issue. What's in there is just letting you know what browsers 1Password is aware of. Removing something from the list won't prevent 1Password from connecting to it again if you open that browser with the extension installed in the future.

This is probably a registry issue. When you uninstall 1Password 4, it cleans up the registry. Problem is, 1Password 4 doesn't know 1Password 7 is a thing, so it sees 1Password in the registry and thinks it put it there and it needs to tidy that up and that breaks stuff. I have it on my list to update our upgrade guide to suggest uninstalling 1Password 4 first to avoid this in the future. For now, give this a try:

1. Open 1Password 7 and choose 1Password > Exit.
    2. Press Windows Key + R to open a Run dialogue.
    3. Type 1password --setup and press enter.

1Password should pop up and tell you it has been updated. It hasn't, of course, but we essentially asked it to redo everything it does when it does update, so it's understandably confused. Make sure to restart Firefox, install the extension again if you need to, and give filling another try. Let me know if that gets things working for you. :+1:

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thanks for the response. I tried your three steps. Now it's working in Chrome (will autofill), but I cannot get Firefox to load the 1PW extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@safetyman:

Is the 1Password browser extension already installed in Firefox, or are you having issues even during its installation?

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

It's not installed. I removed it earlier in the process and now I can't get it back. I'm accessing it here: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/. Is each installation of 1PW independent? What I mean is that I have it installed on 3 machines: one is Windows 7 and the other two are Windows 10. I have upgraded to 1PW7 on two of the machines, but I've left 1PW4 on one of the Windows 10 machines until I get the browser extension issue sorted. Could the fact that I have 1PW4 app and browser extension on one of my machines be related to my inability to load the Firefox browser extention on the other two?

• Your other machines won't impact this one, @safetyman, so that's not the issue. When you say you can't load it, are you seeing any sort of error message? The only even slightly common issue I've seen prevent the extension from installing at all is an anti-virus blocking installation, but that should give you a very specific (though not terribly descriptive) error message when attempting to install. That error message (and steps to get the extension installed if you're seeing it) is discussed here:

https://support.1password.com/firefox-connection-failure/

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

No, I'm not seeing any obvious error messages when trying to load the browser extension in Firefox. No obvious errors in devtools, network tab either. I go to the https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/ page in Chrome and IE and nothing happens. I hit F5, nothing. I look in the downloads folder and no .xpi file has downloaded that I can try to add manually. I don't have any unusual virus/security software on the machines... just security essentials.

• You don't need to be doing this in another browser, @safetyman, or at least you shouldn't need to. Have you tried reinstalling the extension from that page in Firefox itself? If you see an error message when doing that, then yes we'd have to figure out how to get that xpi file, but without a third-party anti-virus that shouldn't be necessary. It should install happily and, given the fix we made earlier, hopefully work well once installed. Give it a try. :+1:

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

No, the extension will not install in Firefox. I go to that page in Firefox and nothing happens. I reload. Nothing.
    I've tried it on two different machines with different versions of Windows (7 & 10).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @safetyman,

Please try to download the latest version of our companion extension using the direct link here.

Let us know how it works for you. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

Hi @greg, Thanks for the link. It seems to have worked. On my one remaining machine that was on 1PW4, I got an error this morning that my vault didn't exist (yikes!). It looks like the folder is still in dropbox, but renamed to .legacyagilekeychain. Now, when I started 1PW7, I had to choose a vault. I went with .opvault, but it only has one item in it! How do I get it to load all my other passwords? Thanks!

• Are you certain this is the same opvault that's on your other machines, @safetyman? Try taking a peek at the filepath for your vault on another device:

1. Press Ctrl + D to show your vault list.
    2. Hover over your vault, then click ... > Reveal in Explorer.

This will pop open that vault's location so you can see exactly where it is and make sure you're opening your vault in the same spot on Dropbox on other devices. :+1:

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thanks. I'm not sure what happened but it seems to have resolved itself. Now my vault is accessible. That's to everyone who helped me with this. 1PW7 now fully functional on all 3 machines (and pesky Firefox)!

• It may have just taken some time, @safetyman, or there could have been a poorly timed network hiccup. First syncs are something I'm looking forward to seeing us improve down the road. They're really tough because that's the one time you're syncing hundreds (or in the case of some folks, thousands) of items all at once and it can be a fair bit slower than normal. Thankfully, it's a rare thing to have to cope with for now, but would love to see us doing a bit better all the same. :chuffed:

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

Hmm. Not sure what happened, but now on one of my machines the 1PW browser extension is greyed out and no longer working when I type cntl . Firefox may have updated. It's now v70.0.1 (64-bit). I uninstalled the extension, went back to the direct link to the .xpi above and reinstalled it. It briefly flashed the correct color in the top right of the browser, then went back to grey.

• If it's something that keeps coming back, @safetyman, it's probably best we just take a closer look. It could be the same old thing, but even if it is, that's not something that should return after we fix it unless something else is mucking around with the registry so best to just do the work and pinpoint it.

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from the problem PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread. That way if someone beats me to your diagnostics, they'll know why they're being sent in.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  For bonus points, post that number here. That way, I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly if I'm around when you send 'em over.

Thanks! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.