Still no word on 4.0?

I bought 3.9 in September 2011. That's nearly one year ago. I bought it on the promise of an update to a new and improved version 4.0 within a reasonable time frame. My question is: are you actually hoping for us to jump ship?
When I started using 1Password years ago, Agile seemed to be an innovative and easygoing company making a terrific product. But then 3.0 came out, which IMHO was actually a step down from 2.x, and with it came terrible design, stagnation and a focus on marketing tricks and making money off loyal customers.

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Hard to answer, isn't it ?

we'll see it one day maybe.... I also bought it a very long time ago
    I should have stick with the Agile version instead of the MAS...and keep my money for a while longer !!!

Surprising ...not ONE word about this v. 4
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2012
    Howdy, folks! Thanks for your interest in 1Password 4. :D

While we have never given a time frame for a release date of 1Password 4, all Mac App Store copies of 1Password will get a free upgrade to version 4 when it is released. No tricks. Just a treat. It is our policy to not provide release dates for future products or features as there are myriad factors — some of them beyond our control — which can affect a release date.

We have always preferred to let the software speak for itself rather than trying to lure people in with promises of future features. (In fact, we don't even advertise the free upgrade to version 4 in the Mac App Store description.) I'd never encourage anyone to purchase 1Password (or any product) based on claims of future features. On the contrary, I would advise you and others to always use the tool that meets your needs as best as possible today. If that's not 1Password for you at this time, then we will keep working hard in the hopes that one day it is.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers!
  • manikje
    manikje
    Community Member
    Khad - thanks for you reply, which is a perfect illustration of my point. Your answer consists of a few pre-baked phrases (Thank you for your interest, to let the software speak for itself, Please let me know if there is anything else, etc.) and is not at all helpful or even relevant. I never asked you for a timeframe, I'm just saying that >1 year is not a reasonable timeframe IMO. I'm not saying you should've tempted me with features of the new version, so that part of your answer isn't relevant either. Once again, your only aim is to provide a pleasant-sounding but totally empty response to what I believe is a legitimate question/complaint instead of any information (or apology: you have taken my money over a year ago).

As a sidenote, please not that at least when I bought 3.9, you certainly DID advertise the free upgrade to version 4.0, whether it was in the mac app store or not. It even was the only argument you gave customers for "upgrading".
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2012
    Your answer consists of a few pre-baked phrases…

Call them what you will, but I wrote every one of those words myself and meant them. If all you want is a date or time frame, then I'm afraid there really isn't a reply I can give you that will satisfy you as I don't have that information.

…you have taken my money over a year ago).

You willingly paid for 1Password 3 — money was never taken from you — and you have been getting value from 1Password every day since then. I'm sorry if you have found it to be less than sufficient value.

It even was the only argument you gave customers for "upgrading".

1Password 3.9 in the Mac App Store has never been billed as an upgrade to 1Password 3.8. From the MAS FAQ posted the day 1Password debuted in the MAS:

Why would I pay for 1Password 3.9 in the MAS if I already own a 3.x license?

It is not possible to convert an existing 1Password license to a Mac App Store license. That said, if you purchase 1Password from the App Store, it will include a free upgrade to version 4.

Please note that you're not required to purchase 1Password at MAS if you don't want to. 1Password 3.8 will continue to be available for our current customers.

I'm not sure how it could have been clearer. :(

Yes, we absolutely made folks aware in these community forums that the all MAS purchases would come with a free upgrade to version 4. We wanted to do something nice for our customers who decided (on their own) that they wanted to buy 1Password on the MAS.

As I said before, I don't have a time frame to give you for 1Password 4. However, if you let me know what you would like to see improved in 1Password, I can pass your request along to the developers.
This discussion has been closed.