We couldnt detect the main 1Password application...

Hi Guys,

Ive been having trouble at home and work gettionmg 1Password to work.

Im currently using Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit, Firefox 15 and the latest version of 1Password.

When I click the 1Password Key icpon in Firefox I get the below error...

"We couldnt detect the main 1Password application. 1Password is required in order to use the broiwser extension.

Once installed please open and unlock 1Password with your master Password to get started with the browser extension."

And it has a button to "Install 1Password"

Now 1Password is definatly installed
The firefox browser entension is definatly installed as well, ive even re installed just now and still no luck,.

This has been happening for around a week or so and usually if I close Firefox and re open 2-3 times it eventually works...

But tonight its not working at all so here I am, annoyed and confused.

Ive been running Beta and RC versions of Windows 8 for months and never had THIS problem before.

Any help would be great.

Thank you!!

Comments

• +1

Same problem with the Firefox extension not seeing the main application:

Firefox 15
    Removed and reinstalled 1Password Extension
    Restarted

Unable to fix this issue.
  • Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Try restarting the helper to see if that re-establishes connection between the 1P app and Firefox. Open the 1P app then go to Help > Restart 1Password Helper. I have noticed this issue before on Chrome.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Elliot! I'm sorry you and Taylor are having some trouble. Let's get this resolved for you. :)

The first thing I would suggest is precisely what Fooligan mentioned: restart the helper (Help > Restart 1Password Helper).

Then I would recommend going through the steps in the troubleshooting guide which resolve 99% of all problems:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/helper-not-connected.html

Pay special attention if you are behind a proxy server. And there are special instructions for configuring some antivirus/malware software in step 7. Here's a direct link to that part:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/antivirus-configuration.html

if you're still having trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report? Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to an email to us at support AT agilebits.com

Once we see your report we should be able to help more. Thanks in advance!
  • Hi Fooligan and Khad,

Im skepitcal but it does seem to have resolved the issue.

Taylor, it didnt work for me at first but after closing firefox, and then trying sgain and then closing 1Password, it appears to have worked!!!

Thanks so much for the help, ill try this at work and report back if its no good, but for anyone with the same problem, definatly start here!!!
  • Looks like I spoke too soon.

Ive just turned my PC on and its doing the same thkng again.

Ive tried Reset the Helper a few times and its not working.

Any other suggestions?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2012
    I'm sorry that the issue is being stubborn for you.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ive tried Reset the Helper a few times and its not working. [/font]Any other suggestions?

Yep. They are the same suggestions I posted above. :)[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would recommend going through the rest of the steps in the troubleshooting guide which resolve 99% of all problems:[/font]

http://help.agilebit...-connected.html

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pay special attention if you are behind a proxy server. And there are special instructions for configuring some antivirus/malware software in step 7. Here's a direct link to that part:[/font]

http://help.agilebit...figuration.html

Are you behind a proxy server?

Do you have software installed that is listed on this page?

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you're still having trouble, please send us a Diagnostics Report.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Select [/font]Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to an email to us at [/font]support AT agilebits.com. Please include a link to this thread in your email so we can quickly "connect the dots" when we see your message in our inbox. It will save us all from rehashing what you've alrady tried. :)

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Once we see your report we should be able to help more. Thanks in advance![/font]
  • Hi khad,

Thanks again for your reply.

I looks at your list of software and I do have Sophos Endpoint security installed.

Ive set that particular service to manual start and ill test this out, failing this ill look at your other trouble shooting steps.

Ive got to say, I was really annoyed with 1Password at first but after the support im getting im happy to stick with it and try to resolve the issue, thanks again.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Yep. If you are using Sophos Endpoint Security you will need to configure it according to the aforelinked steps in the User Guide or Sophos will block 1Password's connection to the extension:

http://help.agilebit...figuration.html

Please do let me know how it goes. I'm happy to provide further assistance if necessary. It would be nicer if Sophos didn't block local secure WebSockets connections, but we work with what we've got. :)
This discussion has been closed.