What are all these versions?

Options

Is there a list of all of the versions I see and what the differences are? For example, I find in the articles, forums, and help 1Password (which I installed), 1Password 7, 1Password 3, 1Password 4, 1Password x. My windows desktop says it is "1Password for Windows Version 7.3.712. In a help article on how to export the database, it gives instruction for 1Password 7 and 1Password 4 but no instruction for my version. I see 1Password 7 is considered an "upgrade," but that was not even offered when I signed up yesterday. Incidentally, I'm coming to 1 Password from KeePass (and LastPass which I will use as intermediary: export from KeePass to LastPass to 1 Password). Please help with my version confusion. Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019
    Options

@Mark_1P: I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you tell me what your goal is, and where you're getting stuck? The current version of 1Password for Windows, at this moment, is 7.3.712. If you signed up for a 1Password membership all of the apps and updates are included though, so you don't need to purchase each specific version separately.

• Mark_1P
    Mark_1P
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I signed up yesterday and have 1Password for Windows, the Chrome and Firefox extensions. Looking at your various videos and help I see references to the other versions. For example, the "Get to know 1Password for Windows" page references using the sidebar in 1Password 7. What is 1Password 7? I think it's a new version (May 2018) and a new UI and password generator and allows a local (vs cloud) database, among other things. As I look how to do other things (such as export) I see how to's for a number of other versions, and not always mine. So I was hoping there was a place that describes all of these versions.

• Mark_1P
    Mark_1P
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Further motivation for my question: I have hundreds of entries in KeePass. If I end up migrating to 1Password, I need to be sure it meets my needs and is not too cumbersome to migrate. Features such as sharing are attractive. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mark_1P: 1Password for Windows version 7.3.712 is what you're using I think. The first release was last year, and we've released several updates since then. I'm not sure why it would be beneficial for you to follow guides for something other than what you're using. If you need help with something, let us know the specifics so we can assist you. :)

• Mark_1P
    Mark_1P
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty OK, specific: should I upgrade to 1Password 7?

• You have 1Password 7, @Mark_1P. Software has always had a major version and what we call "point releases" so called because the bits that specify that come after a "period" or, in the vernacular, a "point". These are minor updates to the major version you have. You'll see this with pretty much every app you use, to one degree or another. Take Chrome, for example. The latest version of Chrome is Chrome 78. 78 is the major version and the only thing that matters most of the time. But if I click the 3 dots in the top right of Chrome and select Help > About Google Chrome to see my full version, I see Version 78.0.3904.87 (Official Build) (64-bit). Everything after 78 is telling me what specific point release I'm running, but that only matters to me if someone asks me about it. If I go and look at support documentation for Chrome, they'll never mention that full version. They'll say "Chrome 78" or maybe "Chrome 78 for Windows" if something is platform-specific. I have Chrome 78 so that applies to me no matter what comes after that period.

Just so with 1Password. You have 1Password 7 (the major version). Your full version is 1Password 7.3.712 for Windows, with everything after that first period indicating the specific point release you're running (and the operating system you have). This is a support forum so it's somewhere folks come when they're having problems. When diagnosing an issue with 1Password, the exact version or point release you have matters to us as support staff. We know that certain issues were fixed in certain versions so knowing which you have with that degree of specificity helps us, and you'll see folks indicating that full version often because we've asked them. Unless asked, though, you can almost always stop caring as soon as you see that first period. You have 1Password 7 already. Anything that mentions 1Password 7 is referencing exactly what you've already got. :+1:

• Mark_1P
    Mark_1P
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I have the 1Password 7.3.712 for Windows app, so that must mean I have 1Password 7. I thought I had 1Password, and not 1Password 7! :)

• It's no trouble at all, @Mark_1P. Honest, we'd love to reach a point where version numbers just don't matter. "I have 1Password" is all you should need to know unless something is wrong. We're getting there with 1Password memberships – as brenty mentioned, a 1Password membership includes free upgrades to the latest 1Password, whatsoever that happens to be at any point in time. So if you say "I have a 1Password membership", we can pretty much safely assume you have our latest release. There are still a few things that keep us talking about versions all the same, but we're making strides in the right direction, I think and I look forward to the day we can say goodbye to version numbers entirely. :chuffed:

• Mark_1P
    Mark_1P
    Community Member
    Options

A worthy goal indeed @bundtkate. Good to see AgileBits moving in that direction. The combinatorics of multiple versions of software development, support, and documentation for numerous platforms and operating systems is daunting, and expensive. Kudos to you! Thanks again for your clarification. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.