Why does 1Password 'upgrade' by removing features? Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!!!

Options

I upgraded to Catalina which I think forced me to upgrade your browser extension because it looks different now. So, you guys came up with a new interface, which the old one was working fine, and now the basic features are all gone. Are you just upgrading for the hell of it? Are you trying to solve a problem that never existed? I am a user that is frustrated when you are forced to upgrade and now the bloody thing does not work. You should just leave things the way they are and stop dicking around with what was once fine the way it was.

Since upgrading;

1. The password is no longer being filled in automatically.

2. Since no auto-fill is happening, I have to open the 1password browser icon manually, search for the website, when I find it, there is no "Auto-Fill" button and double-clicking the entry will no longer copy the username and password and fills in the browser. It used to work, I'd click the name of the website and poof, the username and pass would paste into the browser and done. Now, the bloody thing does nothing.

The only way I can log-in is to copy the user name - paste into the browser, copy the password, go to browser and paste.

THIS SUCKS!!

MAC: 10.15.1 (19B88)
1pass extension; 4.7.5.90
1password Application 6.8.9

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @savman

I understand you're frustrated, and I empathize, but this is a family friendly forum. Please keep that in mind when drafting any future posts.

We haven't made any changes to 1Password 6 since May of 2018. As such it isn't the case that we've 'removed' anything from it. The difficulty is you've upgraded to an operating system that was built and released after 1Password 6 was long retired. You're a whole major version out of date:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

We do recommend keeping up to date with your operating system, but that also means keeping up to date with the other software you run on your computer, including 1Password. We now offer a way to do that effortlessly, in the form of 1Password membership. Membership includes all of the latest versions of 1Password for each of your compatible devices. As long as your membership is in good standing you'll never have to worry about paying a separate upgrade fee again. You can read more about the benefits of this service here:

About 1Password membership

If that sounds good and you'd like to get on board you can read about how to do so here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• savman
    savman
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome has not been upgraded and is on the same version, so it appears your software forced me into a non-functioning trial - version 7 - I don't know how this happened, maybe I clicked on an extension upgrade thinking I'd be OK? One way or another your company corralled me into version 7 which is simply a negative opt-in and pure evil. You should be ashamed at forced upgrades for no valid reason. Again, if version 6 was crippled because of Catalina, I get that, but it's running just fine. It is the forced extension upgrade that is the problem. It's not pointing to version 6.

I want to remove the Chrome extension that forced me into this lame version 7 and re-install the Chrome plugin that supports my version 6 which was working just fine.

I don't want to subscribe to your membership scam. This is pure money-grubbing and evil. I bought your software 6 as a stand-alone service that still works just fine on Catalina. The only issue is that the extension got upgraded and is opening version 7 instead of 6.

Where can I find the old extension that works with version 6?

• savman
    savman
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind, I removed version 7 and the chrome extension is now seeing version 6. The software still works great on Catalina so there is no valid reason to upgrade. Your suggestion to upgrade away from perfectly good software is what's wrong with corporations today. They seem to think we get 'value' from useless upgrades and forced memberships for no valid reason but to suck money out of their customers.

Too bad, I have purchased every version since v3 and now that you only make your software available under a scammy membership model means I have a reason to look for an alternative.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. Best of luck, @savman.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.