doesntmatter
Community Member
edited November 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello!

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a new document in the 1password.com account + an attachment

• Select move item to another 1password.eu account

• See this message:

• Congratulations you just lost all your files (attachments)

How to I get the files of my 1password.com account back?
Why do you delete the originals if you know (according to the message) that the move failed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• doesntmatter
    doesntmatter
    Community Member

One friend independently also reproduced this issue. :angry:

Seems that the lost files can be found in the trash.

• This isn't quite as simple as it appears, @doesntmatter, but it still isn't a good experience and does need fixing. Copying Document items across environment – that is between .com to .eu or .ca – isn't supported at all and moving an item is actually a copy followed followed by trashing the original. 1Password for Windows is handling this properly in some ways (letting you know these Documents are being skipped) and rather horribly in others, as you noted. The horrible bits have their roots in the fact that it's copying the item but not the file. Because the item is getting copied, the source item is deleted, which is technically correct, but that has a bad result in this case because the actual data associated with a Document item is the file that's getting skipped. We are aware of the issue and want to get it fixed up.

This actually demonstrates quite well why we chose to have moving be a copy then delete action rather than a true move. As you observed, when an item is deleted, it's available in your trash, so you can retrieve it. If we did a true move and the item got lost in transition, it would be totally gone. You'd still have a backup in the form of item history, but if you're on the go without easy access to the web app, you could easily find yourself in a pickle to say the least. These issues certainly aren't good and aren't the experience we want, but they're far less bad than they could be thanks to that design decision. We definitely want 1Password to perform perfectly and it's not in this case, but I'm also glad we made past decisions under the assumption that we aren't always perfect ensuring a path to recovery when something isn't working as it should.

ref: dev/windows/opw#2393

• lelroy
    lelroy
    Community Member

I hate to be pushy, but when will we be able to move items (including attached files) between vaults. I have been a long-time 1Password user personally (+family plan) and want to use this for business purposes. I almost recommended this to the boss. This could work great for 'teams' here at the company, but if we can't smoothly move items between vaults then it is useless. It is too much work to be following after every move of every item to make sure stuff is pulled out of the trash and re-attached to the 'Item'.

We have key files that need to be kept secure. These need to be accessible to different people and/or groups of people. They may have to be moved between various vaults. 'Seems' like this is what 1Password was made for.

• It's honestly a harder problem than it seems, @lelroy, and for reasons that are kind of silly having the benefit of hindsight. It sounds like you've been with us for a bit, so you might know that attachments used to be quite different. The files weren't available as discreet items – they were part of whatever item they were attached to. When we built 1Password memberships, we thought related items (what attachments are now called) would be really cool. We all have files we want to store as items unto themselves and we'd been doing that by creating a useless Secure Note or something and attaching the file before. What if we could have Document items and, if we still wanted an attachment, we could just link them to another item? So cool, right?

They are cool. I love Document items and I store a ton of them, but related items turned out to be simultaneously awesome and problematic. They're awesome because two non-document items might be related and you can actually memorialize that in 1Password with a related item link, but they're super problematic because it becomes a bit confusing what to do with them when the parent item is moved. Were you, the wonderful human creating this link, considering that item part of the parent item? Or is its own thing that you wanted to manage independently and just easily access from the link in the parent item? If you were thinking of this Document like an attachment, then it's part of the parent item and should follow it around. But, you could have good reason for wanting a link to, say, a photo of your credit card shared with your family for emergencies to the Login item for that card that you keep private. How is 1Password to know the difference? And if it doesn't, how can it decide whether to move the linked Document with the item itself or not?

See? It's kind of silly. But, it's a genuine concern, especially in a shared vault. If 1Password moves something to or from a Shared vault, it really needs to know for certain that you genuinely want that item (and anything else moving along with it) to be shared with the folks who have access to that vault (or have their access removed) and so long as things are designed in a manner where that's uncertain, we've chosen not to move related items along with their parent item. I'd wager most folks (myself included) would consider the majority of their related items to be attachments and want them to move, but if even one person doesn't and that leads to us sharing something they didn't want to, that's a major nope so the cautious approach wins out.

Now, that's not to say this is working the way we want it to. It's not and there are several of us who are particularly aggravated about it, but part of the reason for that aggravation is that now that this has been done the way it has, it's really tough to walk it back and try something else. We can't restructure your data for you, but even if we leave it alone and just introduce a new way, you're left with a bunch of this stuff that doesn't work properly from the old days. And so, we ponder for however long it might take to come up with the least painful way to make this better. I can't say when we'll settle on something – it's a problem that's been on our minds for years and we've had a fair number of false starts with it over that time. But it's not an issue that's being ignored at all. We get it and want to find a better way just as soon as we can, even if that isn't quite soon enough for any of us.

Also, I should mention that this thread was largely covering transfer of Document items between environments, like the U.S. and E.U. servers. It's a related issue, but separate in the sense that at the very least, you can move Document items themselves between vaults. Linked items are still a problem, but Documents alone are not. For that reason, my solution has actually been to avoid related items at all costs. If two items are related and would be linked but for these struggles, I'll use a tag to bundle them instead. That way, when I look at that tag, I see the collection of items I want. Plus, if I need to move them, I just select the tag, Ctrl + A to select all items, and move them all at once. They keep their tag so they stay grouped and everything moves happily. I'm not sure if that's something that would work for your purposes, but I've found it serves me well so thought I'd share.

And with my apologies for babbling longer than you likely bargained for, I'll let you get along with your day, @lelroy. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I know my answer wasn't likely what you were hoping for, but I do hope it helps provide some context and shows we truly do give a hoot about this problem, even if it's taking a bit to solve it properly. Thanks for being an awesome customer and have a happy holidays. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.