To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Some thoughts about account recovery

Options
richardevs
richardevs
Community Member

Recently I finally sat down and think about what I can do if I got locked out of my 1Password families account.
Since I'm the only admin for the account.

So there are 3 way I can tackle this:

1) Paying $1 per month to create an account just for recovery use, and save it offline somewhere

2) Giving one of my friend admin permission, but the downside, by that, he will also have permission to the whole account deletion, which can be big risk. (No matter how much I trust my friend, they can have their account info leaked by simply not locking their PC or sth)

3) I saw 1Password Business provides free family account, but I'm unsure if I can be a one-man 1Password Business account, and have that linked to families account to somehow act like an emergency contact. (If that make sense)

Would love some input from 1Password Team members on these thoughts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_carlos
    ag_carlos
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @richardevs! 🙂

Thank you for your feedback! You've touched a really sensitive topic that always brings a lot of heated discussion: Account Recovery.

In order to avoid those doubts you mentioned -and the easiest way for "recovering" your account should you get locked out (for any reason...)- is through your account's Emergency Kit (https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/).

This file contains your log-in credentials, and if the situation comes where you have forgotten or misplaced your Master Password, Sign-in address, Email address or Secret Key, all you have to do is pull this document out, and you'll be able to regain access to your account in a heart bit.

That's why we always recommend to download your Kit, print a physical copy of it, manually write down your Master Password in it, and then save this sheet of paper in a safe place, on the off-line world. With this strategy, your 1Password account's access won't be always attached to the online variable.

Let me know if this message has managed to dispel your doubts.

Wish you the best!

• richardevs
    richardevs
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_carlos ,

Thank you for your response, I understand that Emergency Kit is the recommend way by 1Password, and that brings the reasoning for my idea #1.

There might be situation where I need to reset my account key since my main account is logged in on so many different devices, and you could not expect (or too lazy to) every time I will print out a new Emergency Kit to replace the old one at the exact place.

That's why I'm considering an independent account only for recovery, and saved offline, in that case, the account will not be logged in anywhere, hence only exists on that paper.

Now to my idea #2 and #3, it would be great if 1Password can have a Families recovery only role, rather than giving other people full admin control over my account, since I've read others' post about the other member delete the whole account on accident or not. The reason I brought out 1Password Business was purely interest in if I could hack my way through it, by buying higher end product.

• ag_carlos
    ag_carlos
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019
    Options

That's indeed a good point (having a Recovery-only role for one of the members).

Setting another user within your Family membership as an Organizer does involve a level trust which you'd entail onto this specific person. Hence, the reason for adding him/her to the account in the first place. But it leaves out the scenario for accidental deletions, which happens more often than not. For that reason, I'll forward your feedback to the proper department to see if it gets the ball moving for the implementation of that specific feature.

As for the initial part of your post, I believe it all comes down to a decision of creating a single account within your Subscription for the mere purpose of recovery, or download and print your Emergency Kit each time you change one of your account's log-in credentials. Regrettably, this is not a choice we can make for you, my friend.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. We're here at your service! 🙂

This discussion has been closed.